Setting up a LAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a LAN

Here at the office I have done during summer's holidays a bit of clean up of our PCs and cable and almost everything.

Now, my largest problem here is that we don't have a network administrator/expert, so I'm having a few problems to configure the network the way we would like it to work.

The situation is this:

We have a few PCs with win98, a couple with WinNT, 3-4 with Win2K, a couple with NT.

The main server is a Win2K Server.
    I've configured DHCP on the server and on my PC, wich is a Win98. The DHCP service seems to work, as my PC at boot get an IP Address and all the stuff; at the moment it's even connected to our connection server.

The problem now is the same I have with Windows and domain management since I have started working in IT: I always fail to set up the domain thing!
    I have a domain on to the Win2000 called domain.gruppobp.com with gruppobp as alias for older pre-2000 systems. On the server there is a user called Mauro, too, that has user rights.
    On my Win98 machine, called PC_Assistenza, I do the access as Mauro on the domain gruppobp.
    The result is that my PC says that it cannot find a server for password autentification and after having acceded I can't see the shared resources on the server...

Any help?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

I assume this is an Active Directory domain, is the Win2K server running as a DNS server, does the workstation have the IP address of the Win2k server as it's primary DNS server?
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

you still need WINS with NT and 98 PCs.....
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Uhmmm...the problem here is that before I changed to DHCP everything was right...

Comment

Sounds like the DHCP server isn't giving the clients all it should, what have you asked it to give out i.e. default gateway, DNS, WINS, etc.
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Found the problem. I had disabled NetBios, and older machine can't live without it.

Thx all.

Comment

Working...
            X