Chip tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip tuning

I'm happy with the Bimmer. Just think chip tuning might optimize the motor management and make it a bit crisper. I have a stick box so I'd like sharp response on the revs.

Cruised to Cologne a few weeks ago, most of the way at 150 mph, depending on traffic, so no complaint there. 18" rims and very wide and top rubber, so it's on rails. Sport suspension, though slightly choppy, the car's part of the road. Remus exhaust, so nice sound and a few ponies.

From what I've picked up on the sites I've found, chip tuning should bring me maybe 20 horse, some torque, more revs, better mileage and tighter control.

Don't like tailgaters, don't like people in front of me, what can I say?

Anybody got any experience?
    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
    Who cares?

Generally, unless your motor is a turbo, chip tuning doesnt do much more than smooth out a few flat spots or worse, shift the power band around. Its unlikely that someone can produce a better management chip for a BMW than BMW themselves. If it offers an extra 20bhp, ask yourself where that 20bhp comes and what happens across the rest of the rev range? 20 extra bhp at 6000rpm is great if your car spends all its time screaming through the gears on a racetrack, not so great the rest of the time.

The green hornet was chipped when I got it (allegedly), and I found that it had noticably less torque and power at low end and mid range, but more once it hit about 4500rpm. I swapped back to a stock management box and found I could go just as fast in most cases.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Actually, from what I've heard from friends that have them, depending on your model the results range from "eh, not much difference, just shifted the powerband around a little" to "hey look at that!".

You have a new Bimmer, so you can use a Shark Injector (or similar unit) and it's undoable, so if you don't like it... yeah you've wasted a couple hundred but it ain't permanent.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Everything you ever wanted to know about modding a bimmer. Great bunch of people in that forum. But BEWARE. Once you start modding your car its damn hard to STOP. So far my only mods have been clear front turn signals/side markers, tinted windows, and my rear spolier fin is on the way. But oooh boy do I wish I had $10grand to put into my car.

As for chip tuning, like I said in the other thread, you don't gain much. I think you gain a lot less than 20hp. 20 is a big gain for a bimmer.

Bart
        Bart

Comment

mhmmm BMW... I like this one

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

...that's response! Thanks!

...gotta tell you, I caught a pretty bad case of Batt as a kid, which seems to be incurable, only known treatment - no money, and later I caught Iiwfi, which is getting better, mainly due to Microsoft.

Thanks for the link! That'll be some hours of snooping...

...got the tints, got the clear lights, got the rear wing, got the Harmon Kardon kit, nhh, middle, but missed the Xenon headlights, a very dumb oversight! The halogens are a bit patchy, which can be a nuisance at night, cats, dogs and ghosts...

I'm told, which seems to be confirmed in my experience, that from the factory the engine management is the same for touring, four-door and two door models (I've got 2d), which means an averaging out between business, family and sporty drivers. Then there's an all European averaging out for altitude, terrain, gas quality, trailer pulling, etc., all adding up to rather conservative motor management.

It's a stump-puller in the lower gears, so I wouldn't mind if the power band was shifted around a bit. Smoothing out the flats is much more pleasant when up or down shifting.

Drag starts are only an occasional kick, but they are hard on on the whole drive chain, even though the ASC+T/DSC optimizes takeoff. It's mainly passing and dusting that could be improved and smoothed.

Country an mountain roads are great from a suspension and rubber standpoint, but the shifting points don't quite seem to match well with the power band. Or maybe I should go back to driving school for a refresher.... not likely...

Guess it's pretty personal. One of the Swiss chip tuners supposedly programs to your preferences. Cost is around 6-700 USBucks. Amortised in comfort, pleasure and consumption, may be worth it.

I had 12 cylinders a long time ago, spoiled me forever. No flats, no holes, smooth forever.

I'll check the Shark. Rock, I'd give you the 10 Gs if I had a G tree.

... izzzat a BMW? looks like a '50s Opel... or izzat a Maserati?

Robin, what's a Green Hornet, ?

Any more tips and tricks?

(Pick up my P tomorrow afternoon, , couldn't wait for the poker players to part their lips about 256. BTW, when is summer over? Or does Indian summer count?)
            How can you possibly take anything seriously?
            Who cares?

Comment

So which BMW model do you have?

I don't really have chip-tuning experience myself but I know someone that once did it and while the car was maybe a bit faster in acceleration it consumed fuel like hell afterwards...

And hey, an M5 doesn't need any chip-tuning, nor does the M3, not even the 330
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

I don't know if your asking me or Mutz, but mine's a 2002 320i 4dr.

Bart
                Bart

Comment

Working...
                X