Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Dual-Head Pointer(s)

Hey guys,

I've got one 20" Dell FP2000 LCD @ the momemt, and have another on the way (any day now).

Currently, I don't own any solution capable of doing dual DVI. I know the Matrox G550 has this option, however...and of course, Parhelia as well.

So...I'm looking for a couple of recommendations, as it relates to dual head. I've just recently "picked this up" and cannot believe I've gone without it for this long! This is what propelled me to buy a 2nd LCD, obviously.

I don't really care who makes the thing...be it nVidia, Matrox, ATI, etc...But I'm trying to sort through my options. I'm a heavy gamer...I've got a bunch of GF4's over here already...But as I understand it, if I were (for example) to go with a G550 strictly for 2D, it would have to be a PCI version? Anybody have any experience doing this?

Maybe I would be better off just buying a Parhelia and wishing it had been produced on .13u ?

Thanks for your help.

I'd look at a Ti4200 with dual DVI. Their TwinView isn't as great as Matrox's (can't really go into details, but I'm sure someone will), but you should have no major problem with image quality, as it's DVI

Oh, and much cheaper. And the drivers are of course better optimized for gaming.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I don't know of a Ti4200 with dual DVI. The Gainward Ti4600 has dual dvi...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Whatever card you get, make sure it can do 3200x1200 because the 2000FP's native resolution is 1600x1200.

Comment

I also have the Dell 20 incher, nice eh

Anyway, you need a 165Mhz DVI transmitter to run them at 1600x1200 res. The G550 only goes to 1280x1024 (I think). The Parhelia should be fine.

If you use the Parhelia, then you wont be able to run 3 monitors, unless you are willing to use the D-Sub inputs on you dfp.

I dont know if there are any dual DVI nVidia cards, but even if there were, I doubt they could run at 1600X1200.

I would suggest the Parhelia, see what the speed is like, and if you dont like it, return it as soon as possible.

Ali

Comment

Hmmm....

Does anybody know where one might find Parhelias locally? I was @ Frye's last night, and was snooping around....I know they don't sell them. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that I've seen _any_ Matrox products around town?

Would it be possible to track one down locally (large chains like CompUSA, etc) or would it have to be ordered from Matrox directly?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I'd look for it in online shops. You'll get MUCH better prices that way.

EDIT: I don't mean Matrox's online shop, just to clarify

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
              X