No announcement yet.

Diplomats not being very diplomatic....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomats not being very diplomatic....

Hypocracy rules supreme;

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

They are gorging on mountains of lobster, oysters and fillet steak at the Johannesburg conference — aimed at ending FAMINE.
    Jeez man, I wish I could have some of that!! I may not be poor but I rarely get to eat such lavish foods!

It's funny to see them discuss such a subject which such foods presented to them! I think they would concentrate more on the issue if they only had the bare minimum to eat, say a small bowl of plain cooked rice?

Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Now see how my nuclear handgrenades would come in handy at an event like this?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hmmm... guess somebody thought all those poor delegates from all those starving countries must be starving...

...but isn't it just a self-destructive vicious circle? The people elect somebody to feed them, the elected somebody then gets fed by the people, he in turn appoints his friends and family so that they get fed and fat too, and the people end up with less than they started with. Fed by proxy. Who's responsible? The guys who are getting fed or the guys who are feeding them?

Who elected George DoubleU? Who pays any real attention to what goes on in the world? People eat all the scandal in the media, they love it, but who do they elect? The fat guy. If he's dumb enough, he's happy to take the job ...and eat. He'll pay a price ...but later.

There must be some deep-seated illusion in human psychology that if somebody is fat and powerful, he's gonna feed you.

I've lived in India and a number of other "developing" countries and learned one thing: anybody who's ever really starved learns to feed himself first, and only then does he have the strength to feed others, friends and family first.

So people are scandalized, but what do they DO?

I don't think anything will change until the people themselves wake up and change. That takes generations. Really worldwide media is only a few years old. It'll take many more years before years before enough sinks in to bring about change. In the meantime some will starve and some will get fatter.

We're always looking for someone or something to point a finger at, while not noticing that one finger is pointing forward and four are pointing back at ourselves. Try it.
        How can you possibly take anything seriously?
        Who cares?

Comment

the first earth summit was bulshit.... this is just an extention....

let me tell you about my experiance in the so caled emplementation of chapter 25 of the rio Agenda 21 back in 1997.... my wife and i (back then still my girlfreind) where selected to be the lebanese delegates to the global youth forum held in Korea back in 1997.. it was suposed to be a means to establish a network of youth activists who would after some carfull planing atempt to work on a regional level together.... with strong links to the other regions.... (i.e. creat a world wide youth loby group) the problem is the UNEP (the organisers) never took us seriously.... they much preferd to take us on turistic trips and to concerts rather than sit down and talk to us.... but a larg egroup of us.. (Americans, Canadians, Africans, Latin American, Asian, European etc... 12 in all) got togeather and drafted a protest.. we felt that we had acomplished something... but it was a wast.. no one listend.... aperantly UNEP already had its own framework set up and did not consult with us.... when we got back to lebanon we tried to raise awarness of Chapter 25 and atempted to restle some suport from the UNDP ... they said they where behind us but that was the last i heard from them untill the day when the UN secretary General, mr. Cofi Anan came to lebanon... i get a call from the UNDP telling me that as the "leader" of the "lebanese youth forum" i am invited to atened... the problem is ther never was and never will be a lebanese youth forum..... it was a way to cover up their procastination or something of the sort.... any way .. i never heard from them or the so called lebanese youth forum the minut after Mr. Anan left the building.....

the sad truth is that all these summits and similar things are just for public display... a show in which they all pretend to be doing something that is significant but the significance gets left behind the minut they exit the building.......
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Summits like these are just talking shops - they don't really achieve anything.

Re the Luxury bit though:

When was the last conference that you were at, along with half the worlds leaders, and there wasnt a lavish reception? Having them eat bugs and palm-fronds would be stupid, stupid, stupid. Even slagging them off for doing so is equally stupid.....

The Sun is one of the UK's lowest rags.

Regards
            RedRed
            Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

I was wondering why you were reading The Sun, Doc M...

Maybe for the page 3's?
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Nope...caught the link from the Drudge Report

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

All this reinforces the belief that the actions of us little folk don't matter worth shoot. The disenfranchisement continues...

Of course the intelligent and responsible citizen ignors what the politicos do (except when it gets TRUELY outrageous) and concentrates on making their own local corner of the world a better place.

Kevin

Comment

...that's a hit, Kevin.

Anybody intelligent and wise enough to be president, prime minister or indian chief is too intelligent to get anywhere near the job.

...but I think you are off the mark with disenfranchisment. The little folk are the big folk who've forgotten who's sitting on which end of the lever.
                    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                    Who cares?

Comment

The little folk are the big folk who've forgotten who's sitting on which end of the lever.
                      So true.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                      X