Magnetorheological fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetorheological fluids

Cool stuff. If anybody gets a chance to try this, let me know how it goes.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I got to play with some electrorheological fluid while I was in college. It was really cool. We had some hydraulic systems that were filled with it. The pistons could be moved in and out with the usual hydraulic mechanisms, but when you put a small voltage across the fluid, the piston became very rigid - instant strut. Even pistons that would fit in your closed fist became too stiff to compress by hand.

Our civil engineering department was doing a lot of research into using such struts in earthquake damage reduction. You could have them built into key parts of the the building's support structure, and when a quake hit, a system would turn off the voltage and control how the building handled the stress of the moving ground. The results were very promising.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't see any difference between this stuff and ferro fluids used in cooling midrange's and tweeters.

It's got to work better than the massive Air-Rides we produced at Firestone. Most of which were sold to the Japanese for isolating their buildings from earthquakes
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

the article I read that lead up to me posting this talked about earthquake retrofit, robotic "blood", etc... It was really a cool article. When I get a chance, I want to play with this stuff, looks like fun

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Heh yeah, would make for a really cool personal shield material, stiffening quickly to prevent any damage to the user.
          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Depending on reaction times, this could be interesting even as an engine...
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

or as a new form of sex toy
              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Working...
              X