Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA KT400 doesn't support DDR400....

Got this slide of VIA's path from XBITLABS;

Note that DDR400 is conspicuously absent from the KT400's specs. Maybe because hardly any reviewers could get it to run as fast as DDR333 on the same board, if at all?

SiS's 648 and 746 have unofficial support for DDR400 support with official support coming with the 648DX and 746DX. They get a 333mhz FSB when the FX's come out later this quarter.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 August 2002, 07:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

At least Asus boards support DDR400.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

The lack of a JEDEC specifaction for PC3200 is making support of DDR400 a pain.

It's caused trouble for VIA recently in a demonstration and I believe recently the OCP made mention that official 400 support was dropped from the KT400. This roadmap seems to confirm it.

Rumor also has it the nForce 2 delay stems from their engineers trying to obtain widespread compatiblity with DDR400.

I'm not sure why some of the companies are trying so hard. Not even the SiS648 can successfully do DDR400 despite the fact it unofficially supports it. The lack of the needed specification is making for a real nightmare. Time to cut the losses and move forward.
      <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Yes...the board makers state the previous specs support for DDR400, but VIA has backtracked and most of the reviewers cannot get it to actually work. No doubt because of the lack of standards you noted.

More info on the QuakeCon KT400 crash & burns;

Overheating RAM my arse

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 August 2002, 11:09.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Ryu Connor
          The lack of a JEDEC specifaction for PC3200 is making support of DDR400 a pain.

It's caused trouble for VIA recently in a demonstration and I believe recently the OCP made mention that official 400 support was dropped from the KT400. This roadmap seems to confirm it.

Rumor also has it the nForce 2 delay stems from their engineers trying to obtain widespread compatiblity with DDR400.

I'm not sure why some of the companies are trying so hard. Not even the SiS648 can successfully do DDR400 despite the fact it unofficially supports it. The lack of the needed specification is making for a real nightmare. Time to cut the losses and move forward.
          Oh well.
          I still use PC133 and haven't seen the need to go any faster so far. Plus my Athlon 1.2GHz is still powerful enough for my needs.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
          X