New technolgy from Seagate: HAMR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New technolgy from Seagate: HAMR

Acronymous of [B] Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording [B] , it's a new way of recording data on hard disks.

Currently, hard disks write data by using a magnetic head to alter the state of a magnetic surface. This technology will find it's stop, according to Seagate, in a maximum of 5-10 years.

The solution from Seagate is, as said, HAMR. In this new technology, data will be written to a special magnetic support that will be heated from a little laser in the exact point where the head will write the data. The subsequent cooling will stabilises and fix the written data.

source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Wasn't a similar technology used in M/O disks ? (using a laser to heat the surface, thus allowing it to be altered magnetically) ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

but its got a new hat!

j/k
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Why not
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I can't see what this would improve, other than better protection against aging, magnetic fields, etc - not all too important with hard disks, if you ask me...

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

with higher precision lasers this could, in theory, lead to higher platter densities if only the area touched by the "laser" is capable of being written to...

wonder how the transfer rates are...
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

now what i would be intrested in seeing is a multidimentional based storage using crystals or smothinglike that.... with extra high speedzzz...
              "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Holographic storage is already working in labs, and does promise VERY high capacity - though about data lntegrity and speeds.

DGhost - thanks for the heads up, wasn't thinking apparently

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Holographic storage has been used by IBM for over ten years now. Take a trip to IBM's "research Triangle Park" facility sometime and you will see
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hell, I remember reading about a holographic storage prototype back in 1974.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

eYup... what I saw on display was ancient... tho something like 1k layers deep (this was back in '90)
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X