parhelia cpu performance difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parhelia cpu performance difference

i have just ordered a new pc complete with parhelia, the pc come with an athlon xp2200+ and 512 pc2700 memory, however i will be journeying to america in the next week and was wondering what kind of performance increase i would get if i sold my amd kit and went p4 2.53 with pc1066 rambus i know that the p4 is overclockable and the rambus can reach pc1333 spec with few problems so what kind of boost would i be looking at with parhelia?any experieces with such kit here?many thanks
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Or you could wait and get an XP2600+ when there released
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

yeah i was thinking that but i dont know if they will be released by the time i go to america and the 133fsb stinks as it cant properly take advantage of pc2700 thats why there isnt much between pc2100 and pc2700 with the p4 you can get a full 4.2gig a sec and 5.2+gig a sec overclocked.whats the best motherboard for pc1066 rambus, the asus pt533 or gigabyte ga 8ihxp? how well does the gigabyte o/c?

Comment

Memory bandwiths are exploited for marketing. Especialy when you see the word "whooping bandwith on intel's site" K7 is different from the Netburst P68 core and their bandwiths requirements vary. Check some benchmarks. Aceshardware comes to mind. Also there was a CPU scaling benchmark with parhelia on anand's.

What are you planning to do with the rig?

If you need better gaming performance you might consider Radeon 9700 as well.

Check for MoBo compatibility if/when considering XP 2600+. Also consider P41.8A@2.4 (friendlier price). Also you'll have a lot braggin' rights and you'll have to find some extreme cooling solution to take P2.53 to 4.2GHz. Northwoods overclocks have topped around 3.0GHz.

Comment

You could theoretically unlock your CPU and jack that FSB upto 166mhz to match your RAM. Then, there will be a difference...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

not having tinkered with my hardware before how easy is it to unlock a t'bred?and what kind of boost will it get from a 166fsb?will its gaming performance be on a par with a rambus p4 then? i would go for the 9700 but i want matrox quality and triple head so ati are a no no plus i got a very good deal on the pc with parhelia and cannot afford a 9700. i would sell the athlon with mobo and ddr memory in brittain via ebay then go and buy the p4 setup in america where you can get a 2.53 for $250 retail as opposed to $800 in brittain likewise rambus is about double over here too.

Comment

If you'll be abble to resell P4 at a profit or zero loss a few months from now in UK just do it.

If you are looking to gaming boost, search for benchmarks of specific games you play/intend to play.

AFAIK unlocking XP2200+ is the same as previous chips.

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                not having tinkered with my hardware before how easy is it to unlock a t'bred?and what kind of boost will it get from a 166fsb?will its gaming performance be on a par with a rambus p4 then? i would go for the 9700 but i want matrox quality and triple head so ati are a no no plus i got a very good deal on the pc with parhelia and cannot afford a 9700. i would sell the athlon with mobo and ddr memory in brittain via ebay then go and buy the p4 setup in america where you can get a 2.53 for $250 retail as opposed to $800 in brittain likewise rambus is about double over here too.
                Here's how you unlock a TBred... http://www.vr-zone.com/Home/news149/news149.htm

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU

AFAIK unlocking XP2200+ is the same as previous chips.
                  No, look at above post....

Comment

what do i use to close the l3 bridges then as shown in the picture? yeah think i may buy a couple of p4's at that price ten keep wichever system i prefer and sell the rest to try to at least break even.

Comment

I'd suggest this: http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=OC

Comment

did i read somewhere that you could use a pencil to do this with the thunderbirds?if so can i use a pencil with t'breds then? sorry this has got way off topic for matrox hardware i know.

Comment

The organic material used in the palamino/tbred is too soft for pencil use...

Comment

Actually, the bigger issue is that they burn trenches between the bridges.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm not sure they still do that with the TBred....

Comment

Working...
                              X