Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 2 MX performance

Hi everyone!
    Lets start with a joke: I bought a GeForce 2 MX 400 (64 MB) yesterday! Well, with the prices here………… US $70 for this, I couldn’t afford anything better! Well, it does look better than my TNT2 Pro (32 MB)!! Okay, now with my “problem”:
    The GeForce is not performing very well, as compared to the TNT2. For example, 3DMark 2001 SE shows a score of 1100 as against 848 for the TNT2, which is fine I guess, but the fill rate of the Geforce is being reported as very low, much lesser than even the TNT2 Pro!
    Here are the results for the fill rate:

Geforce 2 MX 400:
    Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 68.0 MTexels/s
    Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 135.2 MTexels/s

TNT2 Pro:
    Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 183.8 MTexels/s
    Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 187.8 MTexels/s

Benchmarking was done at the default settings (1024x768 @ 32bpp)

Now had it been the MX 200, I would not have been too surprised, the memory bus being of 64 bits, but here, both the TNT2 and the GeForce have 128 bit memory bus!
    The Geforce is at the default settings, I’ve not changed anything, FSAA is also disabled. In general also the GeForce is not performing well, for eg. in CMR2 and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 it’s performing worse than the TNT2 Pro, at the same settings!! Please help!!

System config: P-III 450, 256 MB PC 100 SDRAM, Acorp i440zx mobo, Samsung ATA/100 40 GB HDD, Mercury Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB AGP, Creative Vibra 128 etc..
    Running Windows XP.
    Also, the card is on IRQ 11 and is not sharing it with any other device.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies
    Ovi
    Last edited by Ovi; 24 August 2002, 11:18.

Did you uninstall the old drivers?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

TNT2 Memory Speed: 150 MHz
      Pixels Per Second: 250 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 2.4GB/s

TNT2 M64 Memory Speed: 150 MHz
      Pixels Per Second: 250 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 1.2GB/s

TNT2 Pro Memory Speed: 166 MHz
      Pixels Per Second: 284 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 2.65GB/s

TNT2 Ultra Memory Speed: 183 MHz

Pixels Per Second: 300 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 2.9GB/s

GeForce2 MX Memory Interface: 64/128-bit SDR, 64-bit DDR
      Texels per Second: 700 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s

GeForce2 MX 400 Memory Interface: 64/128-bit SDR, 64-bit DDR
      Texels per Second:800 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s

GeForce2 MX 200 Memory Interface: 64-bit SDR
      Texels per Second: 700 Million
      Memory Bandwidth: 1.3GB/s

The GeForce2 MX 400 has 0.05GB/s faster bandwith

BTW:
      Isn't it wonderfull when you can't really compare because they use different ways for their different products?
      Last edited by Technoid; 25 August 2002, 23:41.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Guru: Yes, I uninstalled the old drivers!
        Technoid: Yup, not much of a difference there, but then the GeForce should atleast report equal scores to the TNT2 Pro for the fill rates!! Though, on MadOnion I have generally seen GeForce 2 MX scores in the 200-300 MTexels/s range!

Hey, I just noticed that in the display properties, there's no tab for adjusting the colour, gamma, digital vibrance etc!!!! That tab should be there, shouldn't it?

Cheers
        Ovi

Comment

To be honest you next upgrade should have been CPU/MB. With what you have it's the limiting factor.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If you don't have the tab then you might suffer from "driver rejection"!

Try downloading the latest from nvidia.com and before installing them manualy exterminate any of the old driver files....
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Greebe: Yup, I wanted to upgrade the CPU, MOBO first but the expense would have been too high (US $ 250 - 300), that's why I took this card, coz anything faster than the MX 400 would be wasted due to the system becoming a bottleneck! But the problem here is that on the same system, why did the TNT2 give higher scores??
              Technoid: Oops I just found that tab, it was hidden under the nView settings, so the drivers seem to be installed properly. But to be sure, I uninstalled, then deleted all remaining traces, and then reinstalled the drivers! But the results are still the same!

Comment

Check www.guru3d.com for benchmarks of various detonators. 23.11 is the way to go with GF2 line IMO.

GF2MX is only slighlty better than TNT2/Geforce line and Matrox G400.

In Unreal timedemo my GF2MX scored 39fps 1024×768×32 while my Matrox G400 16SH scored 34fps. (These benchmarks are not very accurate since i changed a few things between them and are just for my personal reference).

I pulled this from ars and it may be a good reference when upgrading videocards. This is based on fillrate.

Okay. I have further refined my list, and have removed all sub TNT class accelerators as they are irrelevant. Also, performance may as well be taken as groups, which I seperate by lines and have an approximation of their power, as some cards will outperform others in certain games. And yes, the Ti4600 is in a league of its own, its memory is running a lot faster then the 4400s, which makes for a pretty good speed boost.

Matrox Mystique/Millenium G200
                Voodoo Banshee
                3DLabs Permedia3
                S3 Savage3D
                Nvidia Vanta
                ATi Rage 128
                3Dfx/Obsidian 4440
                Voodoo2
                nVidia TNT
                3dfx Velocity 100
                S3 Savage4 Pro
                nVidia TNT2 M64

-----------------------------
                Geforce2 MX200
                Voodoo2 SLI
                Voodoo3 2000
                nVidia TNT2
                ST Micro PVR250
                Matrox G450
                Matrox G400
                ATI Rage128 Pro
                TNT 2 Pro
                Voodoo3 3000
                Voodoo3 3500
                TNT 2 Ultra
                Matrox G400MAX
                TNT2 SE
                ATI FURY MAXX
                Voodoo4 4500 32 MB SDR

----------------------------
                Savage 2000/Viper II
                Geforce 256 32MB SDR
                Geforce 2 MX 64bit DDR
                GeForce 2 MX 32MB SDR
                GeForce 2 MX400 64MB SDR
                ST Micro Kyro I
                Radeon 32MB SDR
                ----------------------------

GeForce 256 32MB DDR
                Radeon LE
                Voodoo5 5500 64 MB SDR
                Radeon 32MB DDR
                PowerVR/STM Kyro II
                Geforce 4 MX420
                Radeon 64MB DDR
                GeForce 2 GTS
                ---------------------------

GeForce2 Pro
                GeForce2 Ti450
                ATi Radeon 7500
                GeForce 2 Ultra
                Geforce 4 MX440
                Geforce 4 MX460
                ---------------------------
                Geforce3 Ti200
                Geforce3
                ATi Radeon 8500
                Geforce3 Ti500
                GeForce4 Ti4200
                GeForce4 Ti4400
                -----------------------------
                GeForce4 Ti4600
                Geforce2/4MX/Radeon7500 would be a better way to go.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 24 August 2002, 17:26.

Comment

Have you checked FSAA and Aniso settings? A friend of mine also wondered about a bad score, but then he saw that he had both enabled on his MX card.
                  Specs:
                  MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Greetings Ovi.
                    We have very similar config hehe

Why didn't you buy a GF4MX440 (or 7200) which is almost the price as your GF2, if you are from the Student Limited like me?

By the way, I didn't really know my G400 is as fast as a MX200...
                    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Yes it's hard to tell people that G400 is almost as fast as their MX. Umm, yes your G400 sure looks nice but it's so much slower in 3d than my MX.

In older games it's 10% slower. In newer games (Myth3) T&L and more memory make a difference.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys!
                        WyWyWyWy: Hey, its nice to know that you too have a similar config!! The reason that I didn't buy the GeForce 4 MX was because its still too expensive here (US $ 180 - 200)! And yes I'm a student too, soooooooooo...............
                        But of the choices I had, I stayed away from the GeForce 2 MX <b>200</b>, coz this is the model which has really bad performance (64 bit memory bus) as compared to the MX 400 (128 bit memory bus), which has reasonable performance in its class!
                        103er-Fan: Yup, I double checked the fsaa setting (and even enabled and then disabled it, to be sure), but there's no setting for aniso in D3D, its only in OpenGL (where its disabled)!
                        Something's fishy somewhere!!!!
                        I'll look up for some more info on this!
                        Cheers
                        Ovi

Comment

Okay, I've been doing some comparisons on madonion with systems configured similarly to mine (same processor, chipset etc), and here are some observations:
                          My score: 1101
                          Highest score found: 1807

And now about the fillrates. I noticed that most people are getting scores like:
                          Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) (MTexels/s) 197.8

Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) (MTexels/s) 364.8

while some are getting scores equal to mine:

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 68.0 MTexels/s
                          Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 135.2 MTexels/s

I noticed that there are no scores in between this range!!
                          So, people will either get that good score or one which is around one-third of it!!!!
                          And all this with the same GeForce 2 MX 400!! Something is wrong somewhere!!

Any ideas??
                          Cheers
                          Ovi

Comment

Update:
                            I just discovered something very disturbing. I ran Rivatuner to try and tweak the card and saw that it is reporting the memory bus of my GeForce 2 MX 400 as being 64 bits wide (with SDR ram)!!!! Now the memory bus is supposed to be of 64 bits for an MX 200, while for the MX/MX 400 it should be 128 bit with SDR ram or 64 bit with DDR ram! Otherwise there would be just the difference of clock speed b/w the MX 200 & 400, and would make the MX 400 even slower than a regular MX (due to the severely restricted memory bandwith)!
                            But, on the manufacturer's site, it says that for my Mercury GeForce 2 MX 400, memory config is <b>"64 MB (128 bit memory bus)"</b>, which is contrary to what Rivatuner reports (nd the benchmarks seem to confirm)!! What's happening here??????????
                            The link is here:

Please help!!
                            Ovi

Comment

You can try taking that 450 to 600 if the board alows it.

I have my PII350@467 rock stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X