Web phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web phone?

Is it possible to call and talk to someone over the net? What software would I need and how fast should the connection be!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

You can make PC-to-phone calls from your computer using Net2Phone or ICQ's PC-to-Phone, but they aren't free.

ICQ can also do free PC-toPC calls as documented here;

Convert audio messages to text, use smart replies, stay online even with bad internet connection

Another option is PhoneFree, but all users have to be members;

Connection speed? The faster the better, but you should be able to use 56k with lower quality settings.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If you're doing internet-to-internet, there's a lot of options. I think MSN Messenger has voice-chat built-in. From the gaming side of things, I use BattleCom. It sounds pretty good, and it's higher compression stuff still sounds good, and 56K users can use it while gaming online. Also, it's easy to set up something like a conference call. People can just keep piling into the call (password protected, of course). And it's free.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

and then there is Buddyphone... works a peach most of the time there isn't major lag issues (Like callin Sasq in Japan)... use headphones tho, cuts down on the echo
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

"internet-to-internet" is the option I would like to use! This line would be used betwean me and my friend both users on the same network and both lines being capable of 512kb+/512kb+! I would rather not use ICQ mainly couse I think it suxs!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Get a headset

There are good ones that ignore most background noise, because the mic's frequency response is artificially reduced to only pick up the spectrum of the human voice. Some cheap headsets have this, some don't. For communication, a reduced frequency response is better than a full 20/20

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              Get a headset

There are good ones that ignore most background noise, because the mic's frequency response is artificially reduced to only pick up the spectrum of the human voice. Some cheap headsets have this, some don't. For communication, a reduced frequency response is better than a full 20/20

AZ
              Got one I just need to know the program to use it with!

Comment

Dang now what were those inexpensive Plantronics that Hele had?.. Hmmmm

DAVE!
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

I have my Labtec ones. Around $20, and work well.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      I have my Labtec ones. Around $20, and work well.
                      Still the equipment is not the problem!!! I would just like to know what software etc. to use!

Comment

VoIP

Originally posted by Guru
                        "internet-to-internet" is the option I would like to use! This line would be used betwean me and my friend both users on the same network and both lines being capable of 512kb+/512kb+! I would rather not use ICQ mainly couse I think it suxs!

You can also go the whole way and get some VoIP telephones (hardware) - they are available you know

Regards,
                        lurqa

Comment

Re: VoIP

Originally posted by lurqa_MU

You can also go the whole way and get some VoIP telephones (hardware) - they are available you know

Regards,
                          lurqa
                          Actualyt we already have a "kotisoitto" deal that allows us to talk at half the normal rate!!!!!! But since our job sometimes have us talking on the phone over 3 hours a day /With eachother) it is still quite expensive! My current pnhone bill is way ovet 200€!!! Ok ok sonera/telia= (the biggest isp's ibn Finland Sweden) pays most of it but still!

Comment

Working...
                          X