Got me P4 and motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me P4 and motherboard

Fun setting that up Windoze 98 didn't want to play and then my network card packed up. Anyway the Asus board has an inbuilt lan so I'm using that. The only prob now under win2k is that the d3d has become disabled.
    Off to play a bit more.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Same here the MSI 845E with all the features (S-Bracketâ„¢, USB 2.0, D-Bracketâ„¢2, Bluetooth, ata-133 raid, Intel 82562ET lan, etc.) and a 1.8GHz P4 Northwood!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Cured the disabled directX by re-installing the graphic drivers. Tried using the onboard ide but that insisted in using pio mode only so I went back to the promise controller. Now some time ago I knew how fix the ide problem under win2k and I can't remember now.
      Other question are there any programs that will tell me what speed my memory running at as neither sissoft sandra is or wcpuid give me the info.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        Tried using the onboard ide but that insisted in using pio mode only so I went back to the promise controller. Now some time ago I knew how fix the ide problem under win2k and I can't remember now.
        Try enabling it in device manager. Try intel application accelerator (or 4in1 if you have Via). Some burners have a jumper to force UDMA. AFAIK onboard RAID has better HDD performance on non Via based boards (PCI latency bug).
        Other question are there any programs that will tell me what speed my memory running at as neither sissoft sandra is or wcpuid give me the info.
        Why not checking BIOS?
        Try Memtest86. What interests you?
        FSB?, CAS latency?

You did cleaninstall Windows uppon swapping the board
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 August 2002, 14:42.

Comment

Okay this is under win2k with sp3 and the chipset is sis based. With the onboard ide it's definatley running in pio mode and I can't get it out of it.
          I'm pretty sure the mem running at 166 as it should but the bios doesn't tell what speed the memory is running at. The cd drivers are all scsi based so it's just ide hard disks on the ide channels.

The Samsung 18 icn lcd is nice played a dvd on it and there wasn't any blurring at all. Try some games soon out of interest.
          I've noticed than Ati hydravision is a resource hog and I can't get too work under win2k as yet.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Check IDE cables, try reconnecting/swaping/replaing them. Try loading SiS IDE drivers. Force UDMA in device manager.

I think Asus board shuld displays memory speeds in BIOS.

Comment

Sis drivers have been on and off no differance pio mode only.
              Theres no option to change this under win2k believe my I've looked. It's set to dma mode if available. I doubt I have two sets of faulty ide cables as both primery and secondary channels come up as pio mode.
              Sp3 has been re-installed again no differance.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Check if pio/dma is set to aouto or dma in BIOS

for w2k dma forcing try asking in arstechnica/nt mojo forum

Comment

It's set in the bios as well. I'll try the other fori you suggested.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X