Latency changes with Powerstrip???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latency changes with Powerstrip???

I read in Powerstrips FAQ that you could change latencies with it and thought that I would make my GF2 Pro play ball and lower its clocks from 248 to 64 to make it a less buss hog!

My graphics card and PCI audio card don't seem to get along. Can the PowerStrip help?
    Maybe. Graphics cards can sometimes be too aggressive in holding the bus, causing problems for other bus-master PCI devices, most notably PCI sound cards. Although most PCI BIOSes have an option where you can specify a default PCI latency, many cards ignore or override this setting. The PowerStrip has an undocumented feature that allows you to specify the latency for each device on the PCI bus, individually. There aren't any hard and fast rules on appropriate values (a multiple of 8), but as a general guideline higher values yield better performance at the expense of other devices, while lower values are more appropriate to systems with multiple PCI cards. If you want to experiment with this feature, you'll need to manually edit your pstrip.ini file as there are no visual controls available. An example follows:

[Latency]
    Enable=1
    001812D2=80

In this example, 001812D2 is the PCI device (0018) and vendor (12D2) ID for a Riva128, which normally has a very high latency of 248, and which the PS reduces to 80. If you don't know the PCI device and vendor ID for a particular card, you can find out by checking the PS's hardware details screen, which is opened by clicking the [...] button on the Windows page of the PS Graphics System Information dialog box.
    I tried this but it don’t seem to work and PS erases the settings I try at start

Has anyone successfully used this feature?

Please?
    Last edited by Technoid; 23 August 2002, 10:44.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

EUREKA!!

Ok!
    Now I found it!
    It has been incorporated in the GUI!!!!
    And the FAQ still states that its a "Hidden" only INI file activated feature!!!!

ARGHHHH.....

ON the Good Side:

My Soundcard don't stutter anymore while dragging a page really fast in IE and Moz....

Lets see Wath else gets faster Now that the damn GF has been demoted as the "Bus Hog"
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Did a quick and dirty(as in no rebooting and not closing everyting else down) 3dmark2001 run!
      And While the FPS seems slower the Screen is much smother now!
      The second dragothic test used to have FPS from 18-60 up and down and stutter as hell.
      Now it is smoth and has fps from 9 - 37!!

FPS is not all!

Disk acces seems to be up also....

Comment

Working...
      X