Forcing win2k to redetect hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing win2k to redetect hardware

Under win98 you just delete the enum key and off it goes when you reboot. Now whats the key for win2k. There is a enum there but does deleting that force the same redetection?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

PIT,
    Please tell me exactly wich regkey to be deleted on W98
    Last edited by Technoid; 22 August 2002, 16:39.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Err... you just right-click in device manager and pick "scan for new hardware".

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm

What Pit meant was the deletion of all devices and a complete redetection!

Most infupdaters force on of those!

And it comes in handy on computer with totaly screwed up hardware or OS

Last edited by Technoid; 22 August 2002, 16:37.
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid, that works provided that the OS cabs and extra drivers are on the hard drive otherwise it cant see the cd-rom drive
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Thanks Dilitante1,
            But it does not answer my original question:
            There is several "Enum" key's in the Win98 registry....
            Wich one is it that foeces the redetection?

Comment

Hi The PIT,

open up you device manager
              choose View > Device by connection

start deleting all connected peripherals (sound card, gfx card, modem, printer, HD etc.) first and after that, the hosting devices themselves (USB, PCI, AGP, IDE etc.)

reboot

that way I exchanged a mainboard underneath a running Win2k installation and upon reboot it redetected all devices, installed their drivers if present and for new devices it asked for apropriate drivers.
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Technoid:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - ENUM

Did this 2 months ago on my brothers K6 system, really not shure if that's the exact folder, but something like that.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X