GV-R9700Pro at 400MHz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GV-R9700Pro at 400MHz!

The RADEON 9700 PRO core runs at 325MHz stock, but it seems someone was able to overclock one to 400MHz!

<http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1686>

"In order to put our worries to rest, we then tried overclocking ATI's Radeon 9700 Pro card - the same card we used in our review. While we couldn't hit 400MHz on this card, we managed to get as high as 378MHz reliably. Without any additional cooling, this gave us a good deal of faith in ATI's ability to deliver an even higher clocked version of the R300 on their current 0.15-micron process."

hmmmmm that really makes me wonder why matrox couldn't clock the P much higher. same process, less transistors. or the P can be clocked much much higher but big M wanted extra safety.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Maybe it has something todo with the routing of P vs. 9700. I've heard the grapevine that ATi hired an Intel Ph.D. (for serious money, million+) to manually route the chip effectively improving it beyond what software driven auto routing is capable of doing to date.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

well, if that was the case, then ATI made a great move assuimg the card pys for the R&D(including the Doctor).

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I wonder if ATI have got a Max version ready for the NV30 release??
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

/me blue in the face

hmmmmm that really makes me wonder why matrox couldn't clock the P much higher. same process, less transistors. or the P can be clocked much much higher but big M wanted extra safety.
            I've gone over this lots of times, find past threads.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
            X