Intel adopt PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel adopt PR

As above, it seems that Intel has a few problems with new -M processors, so it will probably adopt PR ratings.
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

kinda funny. a pentium will be pentium rated.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I always though PR = Performance Rating?

What was the PR of a P100? PR100 as well?
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

officialy it is performance rating. when AMD introduced it everyone knew it was pentium rating though.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

It's meaning is really Pentium Rating...

However, this is the result of the dumb "higher clock war":
          (not so)Intel(ligent) has developed new processors that run 1 Ghz lower but keep performance at the same level than before.

So, now Intel must simply explain to all the people to which it teached "higer is better", that "AMD was right".

I'm ready to die from laughing watching

Comment

eh, source?
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Italian site. However, the trick it's simple: they have resized the L2 cache

Comment

I'm getting cramps from laughing so hard

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Reality Bites!
                  Funny that it now has bitten Intel in the a**!
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And VIA is in for a real bite in the a** when the new SiS P4 and Athlon boards hit.

Couldn't happen to a better crowd

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Maybe Intel should use AR - AMD Ratings.
                      EG - The Pentium 4 AR2000 - indicating your Pentium 4 3ghz CPU is as fast as an AMD Athlon XP running at 2Ghz.....

Okay, maybe not...
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Or AR2000"-"

btw, how good a rating is PR anyway? Obviously the Athlon is a much better chip than old Cyrix/IBM PR333s, but the PR333 wasn't as good as a (theoretical) Pentium '1' 333MHz. I seem to recall my P2-350 was something like PR500, and it sure as hell is more than 50% faster than a PR333.

Anyone got a P4 with Sandra installed (yes, that's where I got my PR500 rating from)?

Let's see the scores (with Sandra version too please, although I don't know what version I ran on my P2).

P.
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The PR rating plain sucks!

The Cyrix cpus was usualy 25-50% slower than its PR rating.... (on chip, not sandra)
                          Amd Chips are usualy better than their PR ratings!

BTW:
                          Something is fishy here!
                          Can really big caches make up for low IPC and MHz?
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yes, big caches can help. That's why the Northwood brings the crippled P4 closer to what it was meant to be.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've read on another site that both AMD and Intel where looking for a better performace rating besides Mhz. Should be interesting how things play out.
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X