X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiftech MCX4000 Review by Oboy and ALBPM

This deserved it's own thread

Oboy's and my Review of the Swiftech MCX4000 on a P4-2.26

<FONT SIZE=4>It SUCKS!!!<SUP>tm</SUP>...
    <FONT SIZE=1><SUP>tm</SUP> courtesy of Oboy and ALBPM <FONT SIZE=2>

I replaced my ALPHA PAL 8942 with this chunk of copper and aluminum and the idle temp on my P4 2.26 at 1.7v went from 34 degC to 42-44 degC.
    I reseated the damn thing 3 times and the temps did not improve. While playing UT the temp would go over 53 degC. This is with the sides removed from my case!!
    With the Alpha it would max out at 42 degC. This is with the same 50 CFM YS Tech fan on both heatsinks.

I tried this with the fancy TMD fan at first and that was a real joke. At default voltage my P4 would overheat and throttle back.

Oboy just tried his MCX4000 out this weekend with a Pabst fan on his P4 2.26 with similar results.

My Alpha is back on and my system is running at 31 degC as I'm typing this review.

So far the Alpha is the most efficient design I've used or tested.

The Swifty is real pretty but I really believe that they went overboard and put too many pins on the base. From what Oboy and I observed you may need an 80 CFM fan to get this thing to blow air through the dense mat of pins.

BTW - The TMD fan draws 3.84 watts and comes with a 3-pin plug. I wouldn't plug this in to your mobo fan headers if I were you. It would be safer to get a 3 to 4 pin adapter and plug it directly to your power supply.

It's cool to play with- kinda like a gyroscope if you hold it while it's running

The Swifty with the TMD fan is sitting in it's box on my desk. I'm building another 2.26 system but will use the stock Intel heatsink with that one.

*** The first $45.00 takes the Swifty. That includes the postage in the US. PM me if you want it.***

Paul

Whaddya want to do with the damn thing??? I say cut off some of the pins with a pair of DIKES... You can't call them DIKES anymore it's not PC.... Oh!! Ok how about a couple of well placed rockets. ...Ya, that's the ticket...Here, you hold it right about there....No way!! You hold it while I blast it. Oh shit!!! The line is down we better get back to work.....
    Last edited by ALBPM; 21 August 2002, 21:00.
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

ROTFLMAO

Thx for the guinea piggyness Paul/Mark
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

This really floored me because Swiftech has put out some really first class products in the past.

At first I thought it was just me
      But Oboy called me at work today to tell me he was having the same overheating problems.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'd be on the phone with Gabe over this one
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

So the TMD fans are bad?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            So the TMD fans are bad?
            Paul was using that fan, I put on a Panaflo 46.9 CFM fan. I going to try somthing, Ill post if it works out.

Oboy
            Time to make the wafers!
            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
            jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

@Technoid. No the TMD series of fans are superior, problem is when compared to the extreme screaming mimi fans that so many OC'rs use their advantages are significantly less. Comparing TMD fans too same rpm fan with a hub shows this to be true, but not limited to just that. Just like comparing apples to apples, when the screaming mimi's are oranges it doesn't apply.
              Last edited by Greebe; 22 August 2002, 08:04.

Comment

The TMD fan is "nice" it is just not powerful enough to work with the Swiftech heatsink. Even with the side and front cover off my case it would not cool the P4 2.26 very well from default to 1.7v core voltage.

It would be a good choice to use with an efficient heatsink like the Alpha PAL series.

I'm not complaining about the fan it was the MCX4000 that "Sucked"

Paul

Comment

Puuhhh......
                  I was getting afraid

I realy want one to power my PAL8045
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

An update:
                    So the first thing I did was to see if there was some airflow on the outside of the HS, and there wasn’t that much. The Panaflo fan didn’t sound like it should so I took it off and put on a 46.9 CFM fan, which moved a lot of air but still didn’t help cool any better.
                    I even added a fan blowing from the side like Greebe recommended but that still didn’t help.

The Panaflo fan is way cool; it’s not that bad, so I recommend it.

Anyway I decided to pull some of the pins out of the HS to see if I could get some better airflow. The thing that struck me funny was how easy the center pins pulled out. I think the expansion coefficient between the copper and Al is weakening the bond and that may be some of the problem. I went ahead and lapped the HS to a mirror finish, and reinstalled it using some Artic Silver. NO good !!! My temps would start at 46 degC. Idle. Running Prime95 it would hit 56 degC. and would just shut down the program. It sucks that a lapped stock HS did better than this one! Oh well, I have an Alpha PAL 8942 on order.

So far the only improvement so to speak was when Paul put his Alpha’s shroud on the MCX4000 and sucked the air through it. That lowered the temps by about 3 degC.

Oboy
                    Time to make the wafers!
                    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Working...
                    X