Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P 16xFAA vs. R 6xFSAA

Greetings,

I was comparing some SS of the Parhelia and the 9700 with AA turned on and after much examination, I must say that I think the 9700 looks better(strictly from an AA standpoint) than the Parhelia. I am curious as to what others think. Here are the two SS I was comparing.

HotHardware is your trusted source for technology news and expert reviews of computers, PC components, laptops, tablets, smartphones and gadgets for enthusiasts, consumers, gamers and IT pros

HotHardware is your trusted source for technology news and expert reviews of computers, PC components, laptops, tablets, smartphones and gadgets for enthusiasts, consumers, gamers and IT pros

BTW, please don't flame. I am not trying to piss anyone off, I am merely making an observation and was curious as to what others think.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I personally don't see mch difference between the two where AA is concerned. I do see lighting/texturing differences and a glitch in what they have posted on Parhelia tho. Part of this difference could be resolved by properly setting up ColoReal on P. Also the drivers they have for P are very immature (sad to say)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Here are the areas that are most noticable.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The colours are different. The bright part of the sky on the P looks yellow, while on the 9700 its light pink. No noticeable differences as far as AA is concerned though apart from what Hele has already pointed out..

Comment

It's pretty close. If you look at the buildings in the background in the middle rh side theres also a differance.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Some color differences but I do see more jagged edges on the Parhelia shot. Both still good but at this point, I'd have to say that 9700pro shot looks better. (Less jagged edges, which is the purpose of fsaa)

Comment

I think we will se improvements of the FAA system in drivers. Matrox can improve the alorithm that detect edges.

Comment

the edges of the 'Lights' on the left side are in a texture; for faa there are no edges. i think thats the same for that bit on the right side.

but i also think that this fsaa looks better than the faa.

DC

Comment

I agree, the r9700 AA looks better. Also I like the r9700 colours a lot more, but that is purely subjective.
                  -Slougi

Comment

I would have to say that the AA looks betteron the Radeon but overall texture clearness looks better on the Parhelia
                    RAMBUS IS SUCK

Comment

The Radeon has the better AA, but the screen from the P. seems to conatins more colors... i don't konw, but the P. screen looks better...
                      System:
                      P III-S 1.4@1.52
                      512 MB SDR-Ram
                      Gigabyte-6IEML
                      Matrox Parhelia

Comment

you can see it the difference between them very good at those 2 towers at the end.

But I am not sure if you can see it , when you play

And another thing, the 9700 uses 6x , offcourse its better...

Anyway I order processed my parhelia , so ati sux
                        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

The AA on the Radeon does seem to be better, but not exceptionally so. As for color representation there seem to be some things that each do better, personally I like the sky better on the Parhelia, but the Radeon seems to render the weapon textures bette, and they both have trouble with certain shadows.
                          Anyway, they're both good cards, pick the one thats best for you.

Ian
                          Primary System:
                          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                          Seccondary System:
                          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                          Tertiary system
                          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

This makes the decision between P and R9700 even harder.

Performance(performance with a very big P) and excellent FSAA on one hand and Triplehead, fantastic Dualhead, FAA and quality on the other.

Lousy price on both!!!

Comment

But the question is, will the FSAA be useable on the 9700? Smoothvision was hyped large style on the 8500 by ATI and from experience, only 1 game was playable using it at its lowest settings.

I know the FAA is very playable on the P. - and it looks damn good. Not perfect granted, but good and importantly useable
                              "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                              Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                              DriverHeaven administrator
                              PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X