Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Emitting Polymer displays: printed on plastic (!?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Emitting Polymer displays: printed on plastic (!?)

You just gotta read this one;

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/re...U20000703S0007

Jezzz...talk about lowering the cost of production.

Dr. Mordrid

...and imagin, to play a computer-flight sim on a LEP screen made from soft plastics over the ceiling in your room, using a feed-back joystick and sitting or lying in a shaking-feed-back-chair...
    ...or why not to watch your wide-screen video on the wall(s)...
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Now the question is how will 720x480 look when blown up to 12' wide?

IMHO this will harken the coming of megapixel video displays. In other words: why should the still photo boys have all the fun?

That will also bring about the need for those 64 bit processors & graphics as discussed in the Sledgehammer post.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 05 July 2000).]

Comment

Yes, Doc...
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

So I still have to wait a couple more years to afford a flat panel, when the makings of one are in my pantry now. Think I'll fire up the old BJ and print me out a screen. Fun info Doc. Thanks.

Comment

I saw a demo on TV of these screens about 5 years ago. At that time the only color was green. Nice to see that they have progressed to full color. Here's hoping that they will be cheep enough to replace the old CRT monitors. Will knock the pants off the LCD market.
            paulw

Comment

Guess what, Doc? I'll believe it when I see it on the market!

Reminds me a little of that company who, three years ago, had a new hi-res CCD technology and they were planning to make 2048 x 1366 CCDs which were 36 x 24 mm, along with all the electronics and memory for 36 shots in the "cassette", which would fit in the back of any 35 mm camera. Initial projected cost? $750, but they were planning to come down to $550 after two years. Even though the launch was planned within a few months, silence has since reigned. They, too, had big buck supporters. I actually have one on order!

------------------
              Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
              X