Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get more ISPs doing this!

Bit old, but first I've heard of it:

Wow! They do have balls for doing this. Should be quite a reason to switch to this provider.
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Well, but they build a honeynet similar to the ones the music industry is now paying for to be set up by third party firms. They put up file sharing clients with files named after the top 100 music titles and approx. same file size. Anyone who attempts to download these gets blacklisted.

Now I understand why Information Wave does this, probably to avoid punishment by RIAA monkeys, and because they are more of a business provider, so effectively blocking file sharing (which harms flat rate providers anyway, because of the bandwidth used) would be considered a feature. Still I don't like it.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I love it. I don't know if you realize this az, but here in the US the RIAA is buying legislation that legalizes them hacking into your home machine if they suspect you have their stuff on it. They do this by looking for one of "their" files, and if you have something, then they try to crack open your computer once they get your IP address.

IW are not doing it to appease the RIAA, but to protect their users from the RIAA.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I know Wombat, but I don't relly know by which means the RIAA will do this - certainly not only for people visiting their site.

I don't really understand how IW want to protect their customers - blocking the RIAA site is fine with me, but they can't block the entire RIAA's IP range. I mean, sure they can, but when it comes to gangster methods, the RIAA has proven far more creative than when it comes to legally making money - they used third party firms for their honeynets in the past, and I don't see a reason why they won't use spoofed IPs or third party firms for their DoS attacks or espionage. If they're allowed to launch DDoS attacks, and to install DDoS clients on people's PCs, then there'll be no protection against it.

I realize IW are building their honeynet to protect themselves from being sued by the RIAA, but if it's really legal for the RIAA to hack into your PC, won't it be illegal to block them (like forbidding the police to enter your house).

The RIAA are a bunch of gangsters, and whoever introduced the DMCA should be severly punished.

AZ

Comment

Three cheers for IW!
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I realize IW are building their honeynet to protect themselves from being sued by the RIAA, but if it's really legal for the RIAA to hack into your PC, won't it be illegal to block them (like forbidding the police to enter your house).
              No, it won't be illegal to stop them. And it's perfectly legal for me to forbid the police from entering my home, unless they have a warrant (or a couple of other exceptions, which certainly don't apply to the RIAA).
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Az,

Perhaps you're missing the point of their Guntella server.

They're going to monitor the accesses to the server. If they are accessed by you or me, fine. But if, after accessing the server, the machine at the other end turns around and tries to hack the network (in other words, it's an RIAA machine) it will be blacklisted.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm just waiting for Six/Four-based programs so that every P2P user is proxied and the RIAA can't do jack $hit.

Comment

Gurm, you're right - I misunderstood the wording

Wombat, I didn't mean you need to let the police in without a warrant, I just didn't know the word It just sounded to me that the RIAA has a free all-time warrant with the DMCA.

So, now I understand it I can honestly say I really like what IW did, and I bow to their balls

AZ

Comment

My ADSL ISP said that according to a test that they did most of their customers used their ADSL service to d/l music and movies.

BUT:

They also said that It was a not their buissnes to mess with P2P filesharing!
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                      X