Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a UPS

Hello,

I really need to connect my computer to a UPS as the electric circuit in my house in unstable. I already had problems with one of my screens and I'd like to avoid that kind of problem.

The problem is : I don't know how to choose a UPS. I know it has something to do with the power of the equipement but that's all.

I have a 300W Enermax PSU in my tower,
    my 19" Sony draws 135W
    my 17" Eizo draws 80W.

How do I calculate the power of the UPS with this ?

Thanks for your help...
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

UPS systems actually rarely use Watts (W) to rate their power capabilities. They use something similar called Volt-Amperes (VA - Apparent Power). See the following link from APC for the explanation:

As explained in the document, the VA rating is less than W rating. They say anywhere from 0.55 to 0.75, but the most common single answer I have seen is 0.63.

In your case, 300 W (which is the maximum power consumption, but more than likely not the actual power drawn) + 135 W + 80 W = ~515 W max.

Convert to VA: 515 W / 0.63 = ~817 VA

Basically you will want a 900 VA - 1000 VA UPS to handle the full load for any decent amount of time. Or a 500 VA to 650 VA UPS IF it is PFC.

That would put you in the market for one of these:

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 20 August 2002, 06:40.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks a lot for your explaination. I'm going to look at that link.

Oh and you talked about PFC ? What is it ?

Last edited by PAugustin; 20 August 2002, 07:26.
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Good advice there from Jammrock - From personal experience, just about any APC or Meissner unit that can hold that load for the period of time you require would do.
        Lawrence

Comment

I also forgot to said that the main use of this UPS would be to filter the power before it gets to my hardware. Does that mean I can choose a smaller UPS ?

Comment

nope... a true UPS powers whatever device from a power supply/charger (AC>DC) which maintains the batteries. Then the batteries power an inverter (DC>AC) which supplies whatever device with go juice.

If you exceed the inverters power capability then it would work about as good as a grossly underrated pc supply.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

OK thanks.
              Now I need to find the money to get me a 1000VA UPS. Those things don't come cheap at all :-(

Comment

You need an "online" UPS, if you want to properly filter your current.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

PFC=Private First Class

Not! hehe... really it's stands for Power Correction Factor and that's a tad more than what is neccessary to get into for your purposes. Actually think he was refering to a SPS type UPS where it's not driving the load at all times. These cost and weigh less than True UPS's but do not react fast enough in many cases to prove viable for mission critical applications.

Check http://www.kalglo.com/standby.htm
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I've got an APC Smart-UPS (1400VA) which does me great.

I altered a 4 way power strip to plug into it so I can plug normal plugs into it too. I run all this off it:

My PC (Athlon 1900+ normal otherstuff - a few drives etc)
                    21" old Dell (Nokia) Monitor
                    Shuttle SV24 Mini PC
                    Motorola Cable Modem
                    Netgear Cable Router
                    8 Port Hub
                    Netgear Wireless Access Point

Currently at 8% load (Not got first 2 items on - goes to about 10-15% when I have). Which is a runtime of 2 hours

Comment

Also another note... APC (the company) which produces UPS's believes that SPS's are true UPS's dispite the fact that they do make both types... don't buy into the BS. If it switches from line to battery power it's not a true UPS.

Tho I'm not saying they are per se bad

Comment

Wow thanks for all those info. I'm gonna look around to see what I can find. I know I can get APC, Belkin, MGE, Nitram, and a few others. I'll see what's available. I'd like to get a cheap one but if I have I'll put more money because my system is pretty expensive and I don't want to lose it...

Comment

Remember, for the best filtering, neither an offline, nor a line-interactive UPS is good. The expensive online type only

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Where I work, we all have Belkin 650 VA "Regulator Pro" units. They seem to be quite reliable.

I have had mixed results with the long-term reliability of APC 650 VA units.

I think 650 VA units have more than adequate capacity for your set up.
                            Last edited by Brian R.; 20 August 2002, 13:32.

Comment

another thing is that his computer probably draws under 200W (possibly under 150W, all things considered) as he only has a Duron 900, a G400MAX, a recent model HD, and all the other assorted goodies. as long as he is not overclocking that is.

i would have to say that he could probably get by with a 700VA. if he ever upgraded the system a lot he might have some problems with both monitors connected, but it is doable...
                              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                              X