Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-chip SMP? Interesting read....

Quote from Vans Hardware article on the AthlonXP vs. P4;

"The current Athlon XP, also called “Palomino,” is 59% as large as Willamette, while Thoroughbred will only be about 55% as large as Northwood.

In fact, the Thoroughbred’s die size is so small that it is beginning to approach a condition known as “pad limited.” When a chip is pad limited, its die size is determined by the number of pads needed to connect the chip to its pins. Therefore, a pad limited chip is wasteful because some of its die will be empty.

Under such conditions, it is very compelling to throw more cache onto the die, or, better yet, install another core for on chip SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing), as discussed above. AMD’s chips are evolving brilliantly towards this goal."

Now there's an interesting bit of speculation....dualies with one socket. Sounds like someone's been reading up on the HP PA-8800.

Whole article;

PA-8800;

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 August 2002, 07:04.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

*whistles innocently*

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm....
      Is that posible in a "standard" socket A or is a special necessary?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Does this mean we'll be seeing a Dual Parhelia on 90nm process? With a built-in Athlon too?
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Could be ....but I'd love to see the cooler for such a rig

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well that depends on who you ask!

If you ask a compaq guy he'd say any cooler that adequatly cools a duron 800!

Ask someone with common sence and they probably mention alpha, swiftec, thermalrigt and any kind of watercooling
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
            X