Dreaded DV field order again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded DV field order again.

I thought I had sorted this but: if I grab analogue video with the G400 Marvel and keep everything to field order B the video is fine. But: when I capture Digital Video via firewire and Ulead Mediastudio it puts the field order as A. Now that's ok for putting on a vcd or svcd as my T.V seems to play this fine but if I output it via the analogue outs of the G400 there is tyerrible flicker-which there would be because it's in the wrong field order. My question is: at what point do I change the field order, or do I just re-render the movie as field order B. I've tried severeal times and I still get flicker and artifacts outputing DV captured video via the Marvel

Before someone asks: I need to output analogue to SVHS or VHS

Comment

I wish I knew the name, but there is a program out there that will change the field order without re-rendering. I need to find it myself, because I have a bunch of .mpg's from DV Type 1 that I rendered as Field Order B because of an issue with a built in template with TMPEGenc.

If I find it, I will post back.

If you don't mind rerendering, then I believe the Field Order should be what the final output needs, and in this case Field Order B. Give it a try on a small clip.
      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

If you want to render MJPG from DV, you have no choice but to change the field order somewhere along the path. The Marvel has "lower field first", DV has "Top field first" (even though some programs claim otherwise).

Too bad that MSPRO doesn't have an Avisynth plug-in, it is ideal for this sort of stuff.
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

> The Marvel has "lower field first".

But Keith says:

> if I grab analogue video with the G400 Marvel and keep
          > everything to field order B the video is fine.

Ulead products seem to define Field order A as being bottom-field-first, and so Keith's Marvel would seem to be UPPER field first.

Keith, can you zoom into some of your Marvel-captured footage and see what field order it is (upper or lower first) ?

Comment

How do I see what order it is? And: I don't want to convert DV to mjpeg, I want to play a DV file (actually using the capture program that seems to play files better than media player) and output in realtime from the breakout box to vhs. Under those circumstances the image flickers becaus the dv is filed order a. But (isn't there always a but), Mediastudio Pro has a project setting for field order too, and that's where things get even more complicated because you can change the field order of the project as well as the rendered (in this case DV) movie.

Comment

The Marvel G200/G400 only cope with field order B, I don't know about the G450.

Yes you have two field order settings in MSPRO and also in Premiere. The "project" field settings tell MSPRO what field order the source material is in, and how transitions etc will be rendered. This is how all video is handled/converted to internally.

The "output" field order is just what it says, how you want your final output (AVI,MPG) rendered. If you swap the field order here it should be playable through the Marvel.
              Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
              X