Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any i815 boards with ISA slots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any i815 boards with ISA slots?

As the topic says...

P.S. with tualatin support

I highly doubt it.

The i815 series of chipsets does not contain an ISA bus within it's southbridge. It had a bridge interface if someone was willing to buy an ISA controller chip, interface it to the ICH, and then create the necessary interface for the slots too.

As one might imagine the time and cost of such a setup was unattractive. Especially for a dead standard. Personally I say good riddance.
    <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Sorry, no i815 boards, but found these:

VIA-Based:

Gigabyte GA-6VTXE-A
      Soltek SL-65KV2-T
      Soltek SL-65LIV-T (Micro-ATX)

SiS-based:

ECS P6STMT

Oh, the ECS P6IWM is a Micro-ATX board sporting two PCI and one ISA slot, is based on the i810 chipset and provides tualatin support.

Hope this helps

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You MIGHT be lucky if you do a search for "industrial motherboards" but these are VERY expensive.

AZ

Comment

I did once find a P4 board with ISA slots, but I ca't remember who the manfacturer was. It might have been DFI
          MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

I recomend the VIA® 694X/694T Motherboards! I have built ~20 computers using these and they have all worked fine without any problems!

Edit: Ok one downside!!! PGA CPU's (Celeron 400 -> 533MHz[not counting the 500a & 500a models]) wont work!
            Last edited by Guru; 23 August 2002, 12:03.
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Single CPU industrial motherboards would start around 400,- USD, I think... how about writing a mail to acorn and simply ask them?

AZ

Comment

You should be able to get the MSI for under 90€!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Why do you want 815? It's memory performance is not stellar and you are limited to 512MB of RAM (max chipset support).

Have lot's of SDRAM, want to only upgrade CPU+MOBO and have an ISA modem as well?

You can get a BX such as ABIT BX133RAID (socket370) and slap in 1.0GHz coppermine celeron or 1.0MHz coppermine pentium.

If you wan't to use tualatin on a BX board you can either buy a powerleap adapter which costs about 50-70$ which is halfway to brand new mobo or mod a slotket or bend/connect pins. (if you are interested do a search - I saw this on arstechnica forum and some german forums as well).

You may consider KT133 based board such as ABIT KT7A (make sure it's A and that it's past 1.3 revision to handle AthlonXP) and there is Epox option as well. KT7A has 1 ISA slot and KT133/TBird is similiar to 815/Tualatin price and performance. IIRC there are also SiS based boards that take SDRAM and DDR (not both at the time) but I don't know about ISA slots - do a search.

You can buy an old 486 (maybe have one laying arround already) and slap your ISA modem there and turn it into a router.

You can get an USR serial external modem for about 100€ (also consider serial ports are on the way of the do-do so you will not be abble to use it 1-2 generations from now, hardware USB modem is even more expensive)

You can get a PCI modem (there are some hardware PCI modems but are hard to find - again do a search there is thread in arstechnica/other hardware forum called "Are all PCI modems shit?") and if it's a winmodem live with it.

Eventualy you'll want to upgrade to ADSL/cable and DDR/RDRAM. If it's modem I'd upgrade to AMD761 (if you can find one), nForce/AthlonXP or 845,850/Pentium4 and get PCI modem to last untill broadband upgrade or build a 486 router
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 August 2002, 17:42.

Comment

what ever you do do not get a Abit mobo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anbd if you fore some strange reason decide fore a Abit I can personaly send you a couple of hundred with blown caps!

Comment

such as Abit KT7A not neccesarily Abit.

Go for Asus IMO.

But AFAIK Abit is the only one that made BX/S370 board

Update Socket 370/Neo adapter from powerleap is about 25€ here. It's upgrade that enables tualatin support on S370 boards.

SLOT1->Tualatin adapters are more expensive 50-70€ w/o CPU and not available here. They are available in Germany though.

There are SiS and Ali based S370 boards as well.

Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 August 2002, 19:53.

Comment

Why do you have to have a ISA slot?
                        Last edited by Technoid; 25 August 2002, 09:13.
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                          But AFAIK Abit is the only one that made BX/S370 board

Update Socket 370/Neo adapter from powerleap is about 25€ here. It's upgrade that enables tualatin support on S370 boards.

Abit is not the only company that made a BX/S370 board. they were one of the first to, but certainly not the only company.

i could not recommend the BX133RAID for any production environment machine. first and formost for the notorious problems Abits have for having faulty capacitors. second for the fact that a 1ghz P3 is more than likely going to be 133fsb, which is not officially supported by the BX chipset. you risk having problems with AGP/PCI devices by doing it. not to say you will have problems, but it is highly not recommended for production machines.

i would also not recommend a S370->Tulatin adaptor. Powerleap products have a reputation of not delivering as advertised, and the socket adaptors have a tendancy to be flakey. combine it with the suggested BX chipset board, its a recipe for failure.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

If going for Acorp why not go dualie.

Comment

The curiosity is killing me
                              Why do you have to have ISA slots?
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X