Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay should have £2000 grand to play around with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay should have £2000 grand to play around with.

Now what computer bits can I buy. An 18 inch LCD? Now whats a good one. A P4 to replace my Athlon 1150 chip (Overclocked). Is it worth going with the lastest rambus solution or stick with DDR.

Just the title altered.
    Last edited by The PIT; 18 August 2002, 08:45.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

If you're going to spend the extra for a P4 consider a mainboard with the SiS 648 chipset. THis S.O.B. is going to be HOT, with most testers showing it to be at least as fast, and in many cases even faster than Intels P4 chipsets....but at a much lower price point

Asus, among others, are making boards based on the SiS 648 that have both SerialATA and AGP8x on 'em already, 6 PCI slots, a 1 GB/s northbridge/southbridge pipeline and some boards will even have IEEE-1394 built-in;

Check the Asus P4S8X here;

And SiS's list of vendors using the SiS 648 here;

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 August 2002, 12:21.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If you're gonna get an Intel CPU, combine it with an Intel chipset. Maybe 850E with Rambus in your case. Also, why not go for let's say 3 good 19 or 21 inch monitors instead of getting the TFT? I personally think from the monitors I've seen that a TFT is not as good as a CRT for gaming and movies. Some other cool stuff you could get are WD SE HDD's (put them in a RAID array and u're smokin'-mine gives 40MB/s with no raid), a DVD burner, some Klipsch 5.1 speakers.....
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Okay should have £2000 grand to play around with

have decided to withdraw your savings then??

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
          If you're gonna get an Intel CPU, combine it with an Intel chipset.
          Why? Especially when you can get features that Intel won't be supporting for months.

Get used to it; SiS has come up with a very stable chipset the board makers are VERY hot over, performs at very high levels at a lower cost and they even have a P4 license...unlike VIA

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

umm.. buy AMD stock with the 2000 quid and in 6 months you will have 4000 quid to buy yourself a HAMMER! (Plus a Parhelia Pro 256 and three 21" monitors)

Comment

I'd be shocked if AMD stock doubled in 6 months.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Then prepare yourself, Rob.

Comment

Especially since the new darling of the chipset world, SiS, has announced their Hammer chipsets and most folks are VERY impressed.

Combined with the Q1 release of AMD's Clawhammer 4000+ and the Q2 release of the Clawhammer 4400+ this should be an interesting winter.....

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

£2000 grand? £2 million!?!?! You win the lottery or summink?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      umm.. buy AMD stock with the 2000 quid and in 6 months you will have 4000 quid to buy yourself a HAMMER! (Plus a Parhelia Pro 256 and three 21" monitors)
                      Buying stock at the moment isn't a good idea as the downward drift is still expected to continue. Some predictions say they won't be any revocery for three years. The question is when do you reach the bottom.
                      Anyway looking at an SIS based chipset or Intel. Not Via this time around.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
                        £2000 grand? £2 million!?!?! You win the lottery or summink?
                        Oops £2000 not a million I wish it was.
                        If I had Two million it would be large house pay the rest my familes debt paid off plus maybe one or two other things, I would invest as well.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Dr Mordrid thanks for the info but the board doesn't seem to be able in the uk as yet. Unless someone knows different. Abit have one based on that chipset but after my Via issues and blowing caps I'm not really all that keen.
                          I found a nice LCD by Samsung, SM181T 18"LCD 25ms response time as well. What do you lot think.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

pay the rest my familes debt paid off
                            Sod the family ... They're only looking down on you anyway !!

Make em grovell ... They would you !!

Then say your've given it all to the local cats home !! :~)
                            Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT

Buying stock at the moment isn't a good idea as the downward drift is still expected to continue. Some predictions say they won't be any revocery for three years. The question is when do you reach the bottom.
                              I can assure you that you're wrong.. in the singular case of AMD. If the entire history of the stock and the market is any measure, it will double on Hammer speculation alone, then heightened profits will keep it there awhile. It's very undervalued at the moment, (about 80% of book value) and the technicals look very good. It bottomed out close to 7, and then the Barron's article about Hammer being the "Next Big Thing" came out and it went up a couple of dollars. There's been some selling, but the downward push has gone nowhere and the past week it's been moving steadily up. Went up 10% Friday and will probably get above 10 for good next week. It's a great time to buy, if you buy NOW. Just remember, I told you so.

Comment

Working...
                              X