Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia and Geforce4?

Hi dudes!

I am a student and my old G400MAX has gotten old. I want to play bf1942 and you'll need a T&L compatible videocard...

So, I am buying a Parhelia when I can afford one and that time is not now...
    So, I want to buy a cheap videocard and I am thinking of buying a Gforce4 MX420 PCI to help my G400MAX with games...

Now, how will my computer and my XP like that? (hr hr, no jokes plz. I know I am buying a g-fart...)
    Will matrox drivers and matrox G400MAX live with it? Will I get any trouble with that or...

Can I play games with my secondary monitor and secondary PCI videocard?

What do you think?

I think your asking for trouble. At work I have an intergrated 815 chipset video and a PCI G450. I tired to run GTA3 on the computer at work, but kept getting an error telling me that I didnt have enough video memory which was BS. I think DX or some games might have problems with dual video cards in systems. If your looking for a cheap Video card why not look at a AGP Radeon 8500LE or something? They have half way decent Img Quaitly and the Drivers dont suck as much as they did before
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

thx for your fast reply.

i really dont want a ATI so, my question still remains unanswered.

anyone ever tried that crazy hardware config? matrox AGP and a gforce PCI?

Comment

The Geforce MX version do not have a hardware T&L unit as they are DirectX 7 cards. But for BF1942 you need hardware T&L so you need to buy a TI version of the GeForce 4

Comment

GF4 MX's are = GF2's correct? If so then they do (or rather should) have hardware T&L. Just not fully DX8 compliant.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Radagast
            The Geforce MX version do not have a hardware T&L unit as they are DirectX 7 cards. But for BF1942 you need hardware T&L so you need to buy a TI version of the GeForce 4
            Are you sure? Dosn't Gforce4 MX420 have hardware T&L? Are you sure there is a need for hardware T&L?

This is what i found on bf1942 homepage:
            Question: What are the minimum requirements for BF42?
            Answer: The recommended requirement is a pc with 800 MHz and a GeForce 2, but the minimum requirement is a pc with 500 MHz and a GeForce 1.
            Doesn't GForce4 MX420 work with that?

Comment

What Greebe said

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You can run them together, but you'll want to boot from the PCI GF4MX.

(NVidia software is reasonably cooperative, but PowerDesk continues to load into memory even if you completely remove the Matrox card.)

Comment

Ok you were right.

Geforce should work. Sorry. But I found a thread on the matrox support forum.

Perhaps you can find out more about BF1942.

Comment

thx all for your replys.

i now know that the card i want to buy work with that game abd army recon to so that covers it...

but, does a gforce pci card work with matrox powerdesk... well, i think i will try it but if you have any experiences with that sort of "black magic" please tell me

Comment

PD will not work on other manufactures cards
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

All GeForces have hardware T&L (that was the whole point of the original GeForce!), I think you guys are thinking of vertex/pixel shaders.
                        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Sure know I'm not

Comment

GeForce4 MX420 is a really shitty GeForce, it has 64bit DDR instead of 128bit so it won't be better performing than a Gf2MX400 in most cases. The config you're trying to run doesn't seem like a good idea to me either, just replace your G400 with an AGP GeForce (A Gf3 Ti200 for example) and replace that with a Parhelia when you have the money.
                            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

lecter: the GForece4 MX420 doesnt even have DDR so it's even crapier...

greebe: sure, i know that using matrox drvivers to run a gforce might be tricky...
                              what i meant was: will matrox drivers/powerdesk give me trouble or just "feck" up my computer so it cant be used? can a videocard, a gforce excist/beeing installed and work properly on a computer with a G400MAX on? do anyone know if i can choose what videocard my games are to be played on?

well, the whole point is that I want to play games on a secondary videocard, a PCI. if you have any other good ideas what card to buy that is a PCI, please tell me...

Comment

Working...
                              X