FCV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCV's

GM bets its fuel-cell vehicle prototype is the shape of things to come.

hmmmm... whaddya think
    Attached Files
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Personally, I think that they have great potential.

I work for an *ahem* "energy" company, and there are plenty of documents around discussing the merits, potentential and problems.

I think that the main debate has been whether to go to an interim step first - using methanol as a fuel with a reformer - or straight to hydrogen. The problems with hydrogen mostly centre around distribution networks and storage.

gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

.... we (the world) should have moved on to alternative fule sorces along time ago.. maybe then oil countries (especialy soudi arabia) would have become less pretentious and arogant.... and we would have probably avoided several wars.... this is the way the world should move..... one may argue that this will creat job losses but with the advent of a new industry other jobs will open up thus creating a relative balance...... its more or less how nature works but we humans are to absorbed in our "superiority" that we have forgotten our origins ..... and further more why the hell am i ranting ????
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

we (the world) should have moved on to alternative fule sorces along time ago
        We can't move to what we didn't have. Fuel cells aren't quite ready yet, and electric cars have not quite reached viability, mostly due to the lack of sufficient batteries. Then there's the equally significant matter of infrastructure.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The design of that car isn't bad, its about time that we start using difrent kinds of energy. The big oil companys specialy in USA won't like this!

Comment

That is the butt-ugliest car I have ever seen, no question.

Comment

The body on the car is ugly.
              But it is interchangable. Read the article.
              Potentially, you could buy the chassis, then put whatever bodys on it that are available. Buy a few bodies, and drive a different looking car when it suits you.

As far as alternative energy, we have always had all we could ever need. It's right up there in the sky. If the amount of research into solar was 1/2 of what fossil energy research got over the last 100 years, things would be much different today.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Most concept cars (with few exceptions) are frankly butt-ugly. It's up to marketing to refine the design into something the public will buy, and the engineers to execute that vision (insert favorite Dilbert cartoon here).

If storage and distribution weren't such a problem we could be burning hydrogen in the internal combustion engines we have now (many experiments conducted along those lines during the past 3 decades). Hydrogen has the highest energy-to-mass ratio of any fuel you care to name that isn't radioactive.

It's the hazard hydrogen presents that forces us to use more stable forms, in which the hydrogen is bonded with carbon and oxygen in various ratios to create a fuel that's liquid at normal atmospheric pressure and temp. 'Course, we don't create these liquids, we just distill them from their naturally occurring raw state.

The philosophy behind the fuel cell is to drastically minimize the use of petroleum in the entire machine.

An interesting aside: I saw a site (can't remember URL) which stated that some scientists are beginning to reject the "dead dinosaur" theory of petroleum formation. The reason being that oil deposits are typically found in deep geological formations that preclude any fossilization mechanism. Instead, they suggest that oil is formed in the Earth's crust under intense heat and pressure from methane gas that was trapped within the Earth at the time of its formation. They further suggest that this is why old wells that were once thought "dry" begin to produce again after a number of years.

If I can find the link I'll post it.

Don't ya hate a showoff?

Kevin

Comment

If the amount of research into solar was 1/2 of what fossil energy research got over the last 100 years, things would be much different today.
                  Except that the solar cell wasn't invented until 1941 - well after the petroleum infrastructures were in place. Add a few more decades before solar was usable (and even now it's not much more than an expensive battery), and that's why we are where we are.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What I want to see is fuel cell home power. This would get rid of a lot of problems with electrical grids; as in widespread power outages etc. Most distribution plans I've heard of would have home users lease them. If one failed they'd just truck one out and swap 'em out.

There are already home fuel cell power units made in Japan (a bit low on total output for American homes though) and several American companies are coming out with them in the next couple of years.

Once the economics of scale take hold to bring the price down it'll be a very attractive alternative power technology.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
                      The design of that car isn't bad, its about time that we start using difrent kinds of energy. The big oil companys specialy in USA won't like this!

to hell with the oil companies. they have put a cork on this one for too long
                      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon

to hell with the oil companies. they have put a cork on this one for too long
                        You are so naive.

So if you used to refill gas at Shell*, now you will be able to refill hydrogen at Shell*. Talk about a change... why do you think that from all the alternative power sources, hydrogen was selected... well, unlike water, or electricity, hydrogen is one of those things you cant easily get anywhere, no sir, you gotta go to the Shell* to refill it and pay for it.

*obviously, you can replace Shell with your fav oil empire
                        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Actually most of the home fuel cells will use methane (natural gas) because it is already piped everywhere and doesn't degrade some pipelines like hydrogen does. These devices will use a catalytic reactor to extract hydrogen from the methane on-site, which will then be run to the fuel cell proper.

Uppance: here in Detroit the major natural gas provider (MichCon) is owned by DTE (Detroit Edison), not an oil company.

There has been a lot of info coming from the automakers that they too are looking very hard at natural gas since several commercial fleets here have experience with it in their vehicles (delivery, busses etc). As such the basic infrastructure technologies are already in use (albeit limited) and proven.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 August 2002, 06:27.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I read a sci-fi book once that in a reference mentioned that when the Cold fusion and several other energy sources made OIL uninteresting, the super powers withdraw and the Arab states and almost their neighbours vanished from existence due to a nuclear war!
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

a. They'll still use oil to power the facilities which in turn will 'produce hydrogen.

B. This car is B**t ugly.

Comment

Working...
                              X