Question about wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wood...

Ok I know this is totally off topic but anyway. I was kicking around the idea of making a custom face plate for my Shuttle SS51G out of wood . I don't know that much about woodworking, but I'm assuming that my best bet would be to use a "hardwood" Like Oak or Maple for the face plate since Pine is a softwood and I think Might have problems with it at the top where the front plastic plate goes around the top of the CD drive opening.

Next question is where can I find approxmently 3/8 thick wood from? I took a look around Home Depot yesterday and couldn't find anything that would come close to my needs. Suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

do you know a local carpenter?

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Wood comes in standard sizes with the most commin thickness for finish lumber being 3/4". You can also get what are called "scants" that are ~1/4" thick and can be had in lengths from 1 to 4 feet and up to 6" wide. Some full feature lumber sources will cut and plane for thickness full size stock to your specs, so call around and see what they can offer.

While oak is tempting it's also very hard to work for amatures due to its high silica content. It can also have a rather rough grain, which means more than a little sanding to get it smooth. I end up sharpening my tools a lot due to my consistant use of it for furniture and cabinetry.

My suggestion would be to use something a bit more workable but still pretty. Maple is an excellent choice and it can have very pleasing grain. Add bit of amber and an oil based finish and you have something to brag about. I apply amber color with a coat or two of Bullseye Amber shellac; about $8/quart.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2002, 09:43.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X