Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc quick question

Okay, maybe not so quick question...

I posted this to Matrox but they never got back to me. I know what their website says, but I need to hear it from someone with experience.

I'm looking into biting the bullet and dusting off the old credit card and getting an RT2500 (analog capture and all that). I'm a little leary though because as you know the Marvel G200 only outputs Matrox MJPG to VTR, unless you activate "Display on TV" (an unsatisfactory solution at best).

Once bitten etc...

Matrox claims that the RT2500 will output directly from the Premiere timeline to VTR. But does it do this REGARDLESS of video format (DV, YUY, MPEG, etc.) or does the video have to be captured or re-rendered in some Matrox-proprietary format? That being the case, I assume file size limitations are no longer an issue as they were with MMJPG (assuming NTFS)?

I understand some rendering is required for certain effects. Do I understand correctly that most if not all of these are done on the fly (RT2500's vaunted "realtime" capability)?

The main reason I'm concerned about this is that I have some very important video material archived in both MMJPG (352x240, 4-1 compression) and Panasonic MPEG 1 (704x480, bitrate 5000). I need to be assured that the RT2500 will output these files without difficulty when required.

Also, I wonder how well it would play with my Marvel? I know Matrox recommends the G550, but that ain't in the cards! (No pun intended.)

Here's your big chance to have a major influence in a near-total stranger's life (like its the first time...)!

Kevin

The RT-2x00's work in DV or MPEG-2 internally, but most folks use DV. The RT.X's work in DV only.

Because of the advanced compositing engine, 4:4:4:4 RGBA upsample, aniso and bi-cubic filtering done on effects & composites the results are far better than what you would get with just software and an IEEE-1394 card. Far better.

When exporting from the RT-2x00 and RT.X10 you get realtime in analog and have to render to export to HDD or IEEE-1394. The RT.X100 can do all of the above in realtime.

File sizes can be unlimited in Win2k/XP using NTFS with any of the cards, but in FAT32 the RT-2x00's can also do AVI-IO style segmented captures if necessary. NTFS is, of course, the best option. The RT.X's require NTFS only and there are no Win9x/ME drivers.

"Foreign" file formats would require rendering.

Haven't tried the PCI RT cards with a Marvel G400, but they do work with an eTV so.....

As for loading in the Matrox MJPeg files; in the absense of the Marvel (ex: if you have problems after loading in its video tools) installing PICVideo MJPeg will give you the ability to use the MMJpeg files.

My choice would be to totally blow the budget for the RT.X100. I really is a far nicer card to use and the extra features grow on you REAL fast. It can export DV and MPEG in realtime. If you want higer quality MPEG you can use either its accelerated Ligos GoMotion Pro encoder (part of its MediaExport feature) or the MainConcept encoder built into Premiere 6.5 (a free update).

Also: any of the RT-2x00 or RT.X cards can also use VideoTools.net's excellent VideoServer frameserving plugin ($10) to export the Premiere timeline direct to TMPGEnc.

Talk about MPEG export options

Both of the RT.X's also require a NON-VIA chipset; preferrably an Intel or SiS based rig. One of the most economical setups is one of the SiS 735/745 based cards (ECS K7S5A/K7S6A, Asus K7S333 or MSI 745 Ultra) with an Athlon 2000+ or better. 512 megs DDR266 minimum.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2002, 02:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Kevin,

I have an RT2500, and it will do what you want. But food for thought, the newer RTx.10 at about the same price - includes Premiere 6.5(latest version). Both are much cheaper than the RTx.100 and are amazing cards.

The RTx.10 might be easier to install, if what I have been reading is true.

If you want an RT2500.....look around.....many are upgrading at this time and you should be able to get one for less than $500 new or less than $400 used.

good luck,
      Ted
      Last edited by Ted222; 16 August 2002, 11:34.
      Premiere PRO XP Pro
      Asus P4s533
      P4-2.8
      Matrox G450
      RT.x100
      45 GIG System Drive
      120 Export Drive
      Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
      17" P4-3 HT
      1024 RAM
      32 MEG GForce
      60 GIG 7200RPM HD
      80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
      DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Thanks, Doc and Ted. If the RTx10 does do analog out with the files I'm working with and will cap analog also, it may be a better option pricewise. But as Ted suggested, I'm watching RT2500 prices VERY carefully.

Kevin

Comment

KRSESQ,

Please be aware that the RT2500 will only playback DV and Mpeg-2 captured with the RT2500, The RT.X100 only playsback DV, so if you have Mjpeg or YUY or even mpeg-1/2 files they won't work unless they are re-rendered into Matrox DV or Mpeg-2 I frame.

Regards,
          Elie

Comment

Working...
          X