New Doom3 screenshots from quakecon look like crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Doom3 screenshots from quakecon look like crap

I really think they look terrible. I am disappointed now. If you compare earlier screenshots, it looks a sthough the polygon count is lower. Also,look at the crappy fingers. For a not so apples to apples comaprison, check out the fingers on DOA3 on the XBOX. That is the best looking game out there right now.

Dave

edit: corrected URL
    Last edited by Helevitia; 15 August 2002, 11:50.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

hmm, wouldn't call it 'crap' as compared to current games. Previous Doom3 shots often had this 'plastic' looking shiny wrap around character models... which I considered to be very ugly. At least that's not present in the current shots

I guess we'll have to wait for in-game footage. The new dynamic lighting engine is superb as seen in video footage they released about a year ago.

Comment

well, I think it is crap. It's supposed to be this next gen engine and it looks like any other game screenshot out there. I doi agree the lighting is amzing looking. Also, the fluid movments of the characters looked good too, but these two screenshots look bad to me.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well, I'd be happy if any of my current games looked like that. This still has over a year of development time to go.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've seen many more screen shots and the game looks a lot better than those two screenshots. That link doesn't do it justice.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I concur with most of the sentiments here.

While it DOES look like the poly count is lower, the dynamic lighting engine is AMAZING, in comparison to current games - especially Unreal (aka "Color me a Cartoon 2.0").

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Well I hope it ends up looking nice, I definitely won't be buying it for the plot. I recall reading a magazine interview where some of the id guys proudly stated they had the writer of 7th Guest handling the storyline. I wouldn't admit to that under threat of torture.
              "You win again gravity!"

Comment

the hand is VERY close to the screen (so to speak), so you have to expect a few ruff edges...after all Carmack doesn't know how to displacement map

Comment

Hey! 7th Guest was cool! I loved playing it, and it did a good job of creeping me out on late nights. They did an extremely good job, and I was floored when I found out later how small their budget was.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Hey! 7th Guest was cool! I loved playing it, and it did a good job of creeping me out on late nights. They did an extremely good job, and I was floored when I found out later how small their budget was.
                    Yeah but it showed in the corny acting :P
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I heard that id was going to do a port of doom 3 for the xbox. maybe they lowered their standards.

Comment

Perhaps I was a tad too harsh on the 7th Guest. I just feel they spent more time trying to convince the player that they should be scared, instead of making it actually scary.

Drifting back on topic, confirmation of Doom3 Xbox suspicions right here : http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...877682,00.html
                        "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Working...
                        X