Asus K8M!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus K8M!

nice Man, I can't decided when to upgrade. Wait for KT400 and serial ATA or get KT333 adn live with udma100/133 or just keep my current setup and upgrade the chip and video card :/ OR!!! wait for Hammer

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

If you have a 1.2 gig, just wait, man. I went from a P3-600 to a 1800+ (clocked to a 2000+ w/166 fsb) and it was a huge difference. I just couldnt wait any longer, and Hammer will be expensive (at least I hope so)

Comment

Dave, your biggest problem is that you're still thinking of buying a VIA chipset. Cut that crap out this instant.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

well, with all of this MSI 745Ultra info being thrown around this board the last few weeks, I have considered it. Problem is, I used to use SiS back in the dya of P166 Cyrix chips and they left a bad taste in my mouth, so I am having a hard time trusting them again.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I was considering Intel too :0

Comment

I was considering Intel too
              Well, you always did like spending money for no reason
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Well, you always did like spending money for no reason
                shhh! I like my toys

Comment

MSI and SIS are completely different companies these days. Both have outstanding products and continue to improve.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Another one to jump on the SiS bandwagon here....I used to have a k6 based SiS chipset that I used in work a couple years ago...it did its job for what it was needed.

I've gotten both the SIS 735 and 745 chipsets in the last two computers I put together and I haven't had one ounce of problem with them yet! I even have a SiS 651/962 P4 chipset in my Shuttle SS41G XPC and that little box rocks! I have my P4 1.6a running at 2.16 no sweat with out any additional cooling (using stock Heatpipe HS) or voltage increases in there.
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

That board looks sweet!

MSI makes good boards, but they are still not up-to-snuff with Asus. I've got an MSI 745 Ultra in my rig now, but it took forever to get that damn thing working right, because of a few silly little quirks with the board. Had similar problems with other MSI boards.

Asus boards still just drop in and work from the get go! Though I am impressed with the 745 Ultra's stability and speed, now that it's going.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wombat, haven't you designed part of McK? And still you advise against it.. I don't get it

Are you mad because IA64 will finally kill off PA-RISC?

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Wombat, haven't you designed part of McK? And still you advise against it.. I don't get it

Are you mad because IA64 will finally kill off PA-RISC?
                          No, I think McKinley is great. But it is most certainly NOT consumer-level kit at this point, since one processor retails for more than most people here spent building their machines. Consumer-priced IA-64 is coming, just not today. As for IA-32, and most other Intel offerings, I really am not impressed by Intel's performance/price points, and think AMD is a much nicer deal, especially when you can get quality chipsets for their processors.

Comment

What BIOS version were you runing to have those issues Jammy?
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I was running 1.00, had the problems with 1.4 still. Got them all fixed with some BIOS tweaks and a few software upgrades. It runs great now, but initially it was a pain.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X