Installing video codecs in win 2000 Help me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing video codecs in win 2000 Help me please

This is my third post of this nature, so I hope not to annoy anyone, but I am stuck, and considering so few people are yet deep into dv editing on 2000 I need to keep posting in hopes of the few who know what they are doing can help. The story so far............
    I am a long time RRS and premiere user. I now use a pyro and premiere using the adaptec dvsoft codec and VideoStudio 4.0 to capture and switch from DV type 1 and 2. Now I thought going from 98 to 2000 would be easy(finally get that BP6 and dual 366(O/C to 550) celerons to burn some rubber) but the adaptec dvsoft codec isn't installing under win2000 -I right click on the WN1394.ini file choose install, it appears to do a process yet it is not installed. I recieved this post from a fine chap who goes by DMCom but I don't quite understand his post fully.
    Hmm...
    1. You should have administrator rights to install codec.

2. Open regedit and check the following values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

For DVSoft:
    "vidc.dvsd"="Dvc.dll"

That's the only place in w2k responsable for VfW codec registration.

All files should be in System32 folder. If not - you should include path to them in those keys.

If you don't include description for those DLLs in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers.desc
    they will be listed by DLL name in Control Panel->Sounds And multimedia->Hardware->Video Codecs->Properties.
    (This isn't required for proper codec operations)

-------------------------------
    If you can help me understand any of the above points, you sure would be helping me a lot.

Damnit Jim I'm a film maker, not a systems tech!

I too do NLE under Win2K, and have had 'experiences' with codecs.

First of all, admin rights -- make sure you log on as 'administrator', this ensures you have access to everything local on the PC, inc. DLLs

All the other stuff is referring to registry keys. Start-->Run, type in 'regedit' and hit return. You should then be able to browse to the appropriate branch.

Beware though, messing with the registry without knowing what you're doing can do serious damage!!

HTH??

Comment

Working...
    X