X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - Another comment from the [H]ard gods... -

Posted by Kyle 9:51 PM (CDT)

Parhelia Soapbox:
    I paid 400 big ones for my Parhelia. It has sat in its box now since its launch. It seemed like time to get it out and fire it up hoping I might see a new spin on card. Went to the Matrox site and grabbed the new drivers thinking I would simply have no issues getting rolling. Well after a couple of hours of trying to simply get the control panel to work so I could alter the card settings, I am still dicking around with Microsoft's .Net frame work now. Good work Matrox. It is a damn shame when I have to go to Microsoft to make my $400 VidCard work. If you spend the bucks on this card now with ATi's 9700 Pro so close to a retail reality, you should have your ass kicked. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...but I seriously friggin' doubt it.
    Posted on [H]ardOCP.
    - How [H] can someone be when they blame a card, for not working when its User Error. Especially in this case. All the people i know that have the Parhelia and every one in my graphics firm, have no problems with it. What else will Kyle blame the Parhelia with? The end of the world? . He can set up servers, water cooling rigs, yet he cant manage to work the simplist software/web alteration? Try Windows update. But i guess it takes a [H]ard Idiot to not realize the simplist of solutions... And yet, as for a hardware site, he is largly gaming biased. I honestly get mixed messages when it seems they cant figure out if they are a Gaming site or a Hardware site.

And... Of course, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong...but I seriously friggin' doubt it. -
    - ? -

The fact that he had such a difficult time setting up the card should be a good indicator of his intelligence (or lack of). Hopefully some of his readers will see this ignorance for what it is, but unfortunately, most of his fps counting minions will just blindly accept what he says without seeking a second (intelligent) opinion. Sad.
    And I hear the guy who mods their automotive forum is a punk too

I had my card (including the .net framework) installed and running in less than 15 min. Anyone who takes more than 45 min. is severely lacking in the technical knowledge dept., and is not qualified to write a decent review.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

just another nail in the "kyle is a frickin' idiot" coffin...
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

DAMN

wow u guys r really being hard on kyle.
        I agree that his comment was a little uncalled for but DAMN leave the man alone. Hes just reporting what he experienced and hes a little mad at matrox hes not randomly bashing matrox.
        -----------------------------------
        WHATS A JAVA?
        -----------------------------------

Comment

No, they aren't hard on Kyle, you just didn't see how he bashed [Matrox for not sending him a review card. He is 'randomly' bashing [Matrox .

p.s.

HEY, WHAT'S A NUBIAN ?

Comment

What I really don't understand is how someone like Kyle who actually lives on his knowledge of hardware and games, dares state on his front-page I'm simply not competent ?
            Another interesting tidbit is since he can't install the .Net framwork, why didn't this turn into a MS bashing session ?

Cobos
            My Specs
            AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

C'mon, would you expect anything else from Kyle? He has his little hardware site and thinks he is so important, but when it really comes down to it, the guy (based on his own admission) cannot even properly install a set of video drivers. No wonder Matrox didn't even send him a card

But seriously, the guy's total hatred of the Parhelia is getting quite old. His asinine comments over the last months just prove that Matrox was correct in their decision to snub him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobos
                What I really don't understand is how someone like Kyle who actually lives on his knowledge of hardware and games, dares state on his front-page I'm simply not competent ?
                Another interesting tidbit is since he can't install the .Net framwork, why didn't this turn into a MS bashing session ?

Cobos
                This can in no way be blamed on M$, it's actually very easy to get things to work.

Comment

I had abselutly no problem geting my Parhelia to work. I already had .NET framework & .NET SDK on my computer. This Kyle guy must be realy stupid if he can't do this....

Comment

Another point to bring up..isn't the .NET software included with the Driver CD? I'm assuming that he just went to Matrox website and downloaded the newest drivers and never RTFM to see that .NET was required to run install the drivers. Also wouldn't the driver install come back with an error telling you that .NET framework wasn't detected? Boy if this is really true Kyle is a bigger moron then I expected

Edit:
                    Hey think I should stir the pot over on the [H]ard Forums by calling him an Idiot for not reading the Manual? LOL
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

[H]ard PEBCAK!

Bwahahahahahahaha HA! That's just too funny

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The installation of the Parhelia is not the most intuitive thing and the manual lacks sufficient clarification. Despite my own little bump with it, I don't understand what he's complaining about. The .NET part of the drivers was the easiset aspect. You can even add them after the installation instead of before and it will adjust accordingly.

It would have helped had he been more elaborate in his explanation, but Kyle's not the verbose type. I have to wonder if he's bumping up against a bug in .NET that's been fixed in the second service pack.

Of course he could have asked here since he bothered to register or at Matrox support, but I have to wonder if he was already at the point of just looking for one more mistake so he could validate his already existing opinion.

"See, the damn thing doesn't even work right! It is crap!"

I suppose that's not very fair of me, after all I don't read minds.

At minimum I think his statement lacks considerable tact. I respect Kyle and the OCP has been a constant reading spot for me since it's humble beginings as a place showing off a Celeron 266 OC'ed to 400. It's somewhat hard to continue to appreciate the content when I'm being told I should have my ass kicked for making a purcahse I felt was justified. Perhaps I'm just supposed to think he's crazy and let it roll off. Unfortunately the whole thing just leaves me disapointed, as I think he's better than this.

If you are going to kick my ass for making a stupid choice, then do so for me buying two 21" monitors and actually thinking they'd do all right at 1600x1200 on a Visiontek MX200, a MSI GeForce 3, and later a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200.

Now that was dumb.
                        Last edited by Ryu Connor; 14 August 2002, 06:05.
                        <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Re: DAMN

Originally posted by Supernaut
                          wow u guys r really being hard on kyle.
                          I agree that his comment was a little uncalled for but DAMN leave the man alone. Hes just reporting what he experienced and hes a little mad at matrox hes not randomly bashing matrox.
                          I really don't know Kyle too well. But from what I've seen, he has a huge chip on his shoulder.

He seems to have the antics of a 5 year old. It's just too bad so many people (FPS minions as Kruzin put it ) hang on his everyword.

Ah, poor wee Kyle didn't get a Parhelia. Gotta throuw a temper tantrum now. So childish he buys a card under an assumed name and from a different address. This just don't seem normal folks.

And as far as .NET goes, I believe it's here to stay. You are only gonna see it more and more Kyle. So either suck it up, or just suck it. And get your whiny little punk ass off the Net.
                          #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                          people do all day!"

Comment

Re: Re: DAMN

Originally posted by Strahd

I really don't know Kyle too well. But from what I've seen, he has a huge chip on his shoulder.

He seems to have the antics of a 5 year old. It's just too bad so many people (FPS minions as Kruzin put it ) hang on his everyword.

Ah, poor wee Kyle didn't get a Parhelia. Gotta throuw a temper tantrum now. So childish he buys a card under an assumed name and from a different address. This just don't seem normal folks.

And as far as .NET goes, I believe it's here to stay. You are only gonna see it more and more Kyle. So either suck it up, or just suck it. And get your whiny little punk ass off the Net.
                            Agreed.

Phalanx28

Comment

Jeez, how stupid can you be.

Comment

Working...
                              X