A couple of app installation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of app installation questions

When uninstalling rpms how would I get it to not uninstall other rpms that are dependent on it? Do I use nodeps or noorder or something like that?

Do you guys usually install into /usr or /usr/local? If there is an exisiting version should I install into /usr/local and remove the one in /usr or should I install it into /usr?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Use rpm -e --nodeps to ignore dependencies.

When installing stuff from source on an rpm-based system, it's good practice to keep your installs away from the areas that are normally populated by rpm's; /usr/local is the preferred (and usually the default) location.

In theory, you shouldn't have to uninstall the version in /usr. Just make sure that /usr/local/whatever comes first in your PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, /etc/ld.so.conf, etcetera, and the two versions should be able to coexist peacefully.

In practice, you might find some apps that use their own hard-coded paths.

Just start by leaving the existing (rpm) version alone, installing your new version in /usr/local, and see if it works. You can always uninstall the old version if you get any problems.

Martin

Comment

Okay thanks, I've stopped using RPMs and usually just compiling the programs instead, so that's why I was wondering. Only problem I've run into is the loooong compile times for something like Qt on a Pentium 100, pcmcia-cs probably will take 2 days...
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
      X