Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw 0.13 micron!!!!!!

They finally made the announcement

I've been biting my tongue and sitting on my hands for some time now through all the 0.13 micron threads posted awhile ago.

0.09 micron Plus!!

Anyways, the first 0.13 micron Product run at our FAB yielded above expectations in less than 4 months after starting the initial short loop lots.

0.09 micron Products....<FONT SIZE=4> Soon!!!<SUP>tm</SUP>...
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Nice! What advantage do you get with the smaller die size other than running cooler?

The Chicken
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Smaller die sizes dont seem to run cooler at all
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And to think that the old Pentium II were 0.3 microns...

Comment

If it doesn't run any cooler what IS the advantage?

The Chicken
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Takes less space so production cost gets lower as you can get more cpus or whatever per waffer

Comment

Technically, the smaller the die size the higher it can be clocked, because heat can dicipate much easier.

Comment

When they shrink the die size they also increase the frquency.

If they kept the same MHz frequency but kept shrinking the die that's when you'd notice a major decrease in temperature.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

There's a difference between "run cooler" and "consumes less power". Smaller sizes dissipate more power/area, but the same design should take much less area on a smaller process, ALL other things being equal.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ahhh, that makes sense, I suppose. Thanks guys!

Comment

Hey, cool they actually said Hillsboro instead of Portland
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

aren't we forgetting something? won't more chips per wafer mean lower production costs, higher retail costs, and more profit for intel share holders? (sorry to be the cynical bastard )
                        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Why higher retail costs?
                          Yes, lower production costs, eventually (depending on yield).
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think he means higher profit margins on the chips...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Why higher retail costs?
                              Being cynical myself - Because any technological advantage over a competitor can be used by the marketing department to boost sales?
                              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                              X