No Win98/Me drivers for Parhelia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Win98/Me drivers for Parhelia

After thinking some time if they can do some Win98 drivers, Matrox dropped the idea. I looked at http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/ and saw "To be determined" changed into "none planned".

"That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

--Win98 Problem at Work--

I talked my company into ordering 14 new Matrox cards, I'm the IT person i guess, anyways,

They show up, and NO WIN 98 drivers!!

They are all being sent back. My boss isn't very happy, and says if a computer hardware company cant support his business, he doesnt need them.

Thanks a lot Matrox, and all the **Matrox moderators** on this forum who betray the common woman who doesnt have time to review 20 different reviews.

Colette S.

ps> I am begging them to purchase GeForce 4's now, but i dont think they are willing to listen seeing how i screwed up and set our work timetables back 3 weeks at least.

Comment

Re: --Win98 Problem at Work--

Originally posted by Colette27

Thanks a lot Matrox, and all the **Matrox moderators** on this forum who betray the common woman who doesnt have time to review 20 different reviews.

Colette S.

ps> I am begging them to purchase GeForce 4's now, but i dont think they are willing to listen seeing how i screwed up and set our work timetables back 3 weeks at least.
        I dont see how you can blame the Moderators here...this is a USER Group, not Matrox's offical support website...that's this site here: http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/Ultimate.cgi

Its been a Known Fact that Windows 95/98 wasn't going to be supported at the moment since the Parhelia came to market last month. I personally find your researching skills quite lacking and there isn't any excuse to goto different Manufactures websites to double check their info to see if its going to be compatable with the envortment that your going to use them in. Anyway you would have been better off upgrading Windows 98 to Windows 2000, then blowing your money on a $400 video card

I hope your employees don't hate you when they want to claw out there eyeballs after staring at some POS Geforce4 video card for 8+ hours a day.
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

wooo Slow down there Colette27, not all of us Moderators are involved with Matrox, and none of us are 'Matrox' moderators.

This is a user support forum, each of us gives of our own free time to provide support for end users of Matrox and other products.

As far as 'the common woman' who doesn't have time to review 20 different reviews, did you at least go to the Matrox home page and look at the drivers list and spec sheet before you decided that this was the card for your company?

Your the IT person I guess

Grumpy Non-Matrox affiliated MURC moderator
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

hungry for B-B-Q Minis?
            well I think we got one ready here for the pit
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I'm affiliated with Matrox only in the capacity as a beta tester and can't figure how in the world you could blaim us. I have yet to see where any BB has left anyone else with the impression that M most certainly will be coming out with Win9x drivers. Me thinks you as an IT person should stay away from The Crystal Ball forum and stick with Matrox Hardware, especially those of us (pick any BBz comments) and LISTEN to what they have to say.

Have fun with your Win9x and GF4's (bleck
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I talked my company into ordering 14 new Matrox cards, I'm the IT person i guess, anyways,
                If you are going to recommend anything to your company for purchase you should learn to make the time to read the reviews. Sounds like the makings of a good blonde joke to me.

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Why not get G550s? GF4s...gaming horse power for work?
                  Win98 for a work-environment....no Win200/XP?

...doesn't make sense to me....

Comment

They are all being sent back. My boss isn't very happy, and says if a computer hardware company cant support his business, he doesnt need them.

Colette S.

Ooops invalid techie who didn't check out the pages at Matroxs website. Also why didn't you buy one first just too make sure they weren't any compatibility problems with the hardware running at your place.

Rule One Always research your product.

Rule two Only buy one and then check it out under operating conditions.

Rule three. If theres various hardware configs check it out on them as well.

As for chucking Colette into The PIT please don't I've just had breakfast.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm the IT person i guess, anyways
                      You're only guessing you're the IT person?

Sheeesh. What company do you work for? I just wanna know so I can avoid it.
                      "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                      Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                      DriverHeaven administrator
                      PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

If you are the IT person do yourself a favour and recommend what IT managers and Systems Administrators have been doing for ages - ditch the shite known as Win9x and get yourself a real OS installed.
                        I pitty any company that is running any of their machines on Win9x.
                        When Win2k first hit retail I spent one month doing nothing but testing it with every application we used.
                        Once I found all was in order I aggressively rolled it out, moving some 50+ users to Win2k within a matter of weeks.
                        Support calls are down to hardly any and as it's a new OS and not some re-hash of something old it supports any hardware we throw at it.

I cannot believe you purchased hardware on the "off-chance" it might be supported by your systems.
                        No fellow Sys Admin/IT Manager I know whould buy something in without being able to physically get their hands on the driver for their systems - we do not buy in on promises alone.
                        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Re: Re: --Win98 Problem at Work--

Hi Paulr,

Originally posted by Paulr

If you are the IT person do yourself a favour and recommend what IT managers and Systems Administrators have been doing for ages - ditch the shite known as Win9x and get yourself a real OS installed.
                          AFAIK there aren't any drivers for the Parhelia that would support a "real" OS. All I can see is a "coming soon" at the Matrox driver page. ;-)

But what is more important: most of us still live in free countries and most of us are smart enough to choose the OS that fits our needs. If anybody wants to use Win98, then it's his own decision and nobody has the right to tell him to make a different choice, just because he thinks it is better.

On the other hand, if Matrox chooses not to support Win98 there are certainly good reasons for this. Anyway, it's still a big mistake, I think.

cu,
                          kaasboer

Comment

What people are trying to say here is that win9x and that includes ME is very outdated and resource wasting on fairly new computers.

You will only make yourself a favour if you upgrade. That is the bottom line.
                            Last edited by Novdid; 14 August 2002, 03:54.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: --Win98 Problem at Work--

Originally posted by kaasboer
                              if Matrox chooses not to support Win98 there are certainly good reasons for this. Anyway, it's still a big mistake, I think.
                              I Agree. If at leat 10% of potential customers doesn't buy the Parhelia because he/she don't want to ugrade the operating system, Matrox lost 10% of Parhelia sales.

Only Matrox know if it's more expensive to mantain a W9x version of Powerdesk or to loss a percentage of potential customers.....

I think this percentage it's more higher than Matrox expectations !!!
                              <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
                              <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Working...
                              X