G400 Overlay problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Overlay problem

Hi, i think there may be a bug in the overlay of the G400 max while running at 1920x1080. I am using powerdvd 3 and get an error saying the display mode isnt supported. I have a friend with an nvidia card, and the same version of powerdvd, and they have no problems playing back DVD's at this resolution. I am currently using the latest drivers for this card, 5.84.023

Lower your primary resolution to 1280x960 think it'll handle upto 32 bit but if not try 16 bit color (I can't remember exactly offhand)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Why should the card not be able to playback dvd's at 1920x1080 though? There is plenty of video ram, its running in 32bit color at 1920x1080. ive also tried 24 and 16 bit at that resolution. The desktop displays perfectly fine at this resolution. its just dvd playback.

Originally posted by Greebe
      Lower your primary resolution to 1280x960 think it'll handle upto 32 bit but if not try 16 bit color (I can't remember exactly offhand)

Comment

Because the memory is split between the two heads.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

BTW i should add that the G400 can handle more then 1280x960 for playing back DVDs. i currently have no problems at 1600x1024. however as soon as i switch to 1920x1080 i get the display mode not supported. For those who dont know, 1920x1080 is the highest resolution for 16:9 HDTV aka 1080p

Comment

I am only using one of the heads at the moment, and when one one is being used, all the memory is available to that one.

Because the memory is split between the two heads.

Comment

It's an overlay limitation in hardware/drivers.

Comment

Because 1080 is not dividable by 32.
                By default Gxx0 drivers can only use overlay when video size is dividable by 32.

Thats why DivXG400 exist (although it no longer works with DivX 5...).
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Well i do have divxg400 installed, so shouldnt that fix it, or does that only fix video played back though windows media player?

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                  By default Gxx0 drivers can only use overlay when video size is dividable by 32.

Comment

Even though the driver may provide the overlay mode for that resolution, it is not probably hardware-accelerated.

I think only Parhelia does not meet such kind of core/memory bandwidth issue because of higher clock rate, 512-bit 2D core, and the huge external memory bandwidth. I guess it is piece a cake for the Parhelia to do the hardware 4- or 6-tap video filtering under 1920x1080x32bpp at 100 Hz.
                    P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

I don't know, but try to set "Load Filter" to "Force".
                      (By the way, to me DivXG400 does not always work.)

Originally posted by D0ug
                      Well i do have divxg400 installed, so shouldnt that fix it, or does that only fix video played back though windows media player?

P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy

It's a codec limitation, not driver afaik.

Try playing it back with a different video codec, like FFMPEGDS, or DivX 5.0

Comment

Working...
                        X