Mini PC instead of laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini PC instead of laptop?

I've been helping my sister decide on buying a new laptop (although she set herself back by buying new cello equipment ). Now I'm wondering about a Mini PC as an alternative, because her main reason for wanting a laptop over a desktop is size since work provides her with a laptop for portability. I've never dealt with Mini PCs and wondering what you guys think so I can put some stuff together to show her.

Manufacturers besides Shuttle? Those shuttle ones look really nice (aluminum, newest model has AGP).
    Cost compared to a laptop system? Would it be cheaper since many parts are the same as standard systems? Or would it be more expensive for special case/mobo + monitor?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Well I think you might save a ton of Money going the Mini PC route. I have a Shuttle SS51G that uses a SIS chipset for the Pentium 4. Besides the various Shuttle models that are out, there an AMS gbox, which is a Via chipset for the P4. Shuttle is supposed to come out with a Nforce2 based MiniPC, when that board is avaible in a comple of months.

As for pricing...the only thing you really need if you go SS51G is Memory, a P4 CPU, HDD and CD-ROM. I got all my stuff minus the Memory from Newegg.com, which lists the SS51G for $329 bucks. If you check out www.viahardware.com they have a Small Form Factor/ MiniPC DG that has alot of good info.

If you have any more questions, just ask...

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

A laptop does NOT need less space than a desktop - at least not if you want to use it ergonomically - you'll need AT LEAST a real keyboard and mouse, and maybe even a monitor. Should you want to add ports or drives, consider the size of a port replicator and external drives. A desk will certainly look more cluttered with a laptop than with any PC + Monitor, let alone Flat Screen, which you could easily buy for the same money as a Laptop.

If she only wants to do word processing and the like, check out VIA's eden platform. It's cheap, quiet, and small.

Even lower priced stand alone flat panels are better than most laptop panels (simply because there is more room).

There are many "design" barebones out there - and it'll certainly be cheaper, more opgrade-friendly (though by far not as much as a "normal" PC), and mmore stylish than a laptop

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I agree with the small computer route.

If she is going to be using that computer for any length of time, she will need a better ergornomic setting than any laptop will give.

It will also be faster and neater than any laptop on a destop. Don't underestimate just how ugly a laptop with a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to it looks over a well placed desktop machine
        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

You could try this site, they have tons of small, mini pc computers in various specs and configurations:

http://www.littlepc.com/

Comment

What are her requirements? Just email/web/documents or a little bit of entertainment as well?
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Wow didn't expect this thread to come back to life, but she decided to not get a laptop yet and just use the one from work for now.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Ooops! Didn't see the date!
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                X