looks like Parhelia's a no-no for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like Parhelia's a no-no for me!

been waiting for win98 drivers to become available before getting my Parhelia as I dual boot win98/XP.
    low & behold I check the drivers page & the win98 driver status has changed from "to be determined" to none planned.
    not quite the story matrox PR put out when the card was first made available!

If they make drivers for Windows ME, those should work for 98.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Why do you need Win98??????

Unless you want to run legacy software for some strange reason, I would only run either Windows XP or 2000 full time.

Cheers,
      Elie

Comment

bummer as M$ extended support to '03 for '98
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
          If they make drivers for Windows ME, those should work for 98.
          "none planned" status for ME as well!

Comment

Lazy puds. How hard can it be to write a set of drivers for 9x when drivers for win32 in win2k and XP already exist?

The only substantive reason for not writing them I can think of is bribery/threats from Microsoft...

Same reason there are no xFree86 drivers...
            Last edited by KvHagedorn; 10 August 2002, 14:20.

Comment

Don't take guesses like that KvH. You'll miss.

Unless you want to run legacy software for some strange reason, I would only run either Windows XP or 2000 full time.
              Or you could try to save yourself $200 bucks and use the OS you already have.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Don't take guesses like that KvH. You'll miss.

Or you could try to save yourself $200 bucks and use the OS you already have.
                What you are saying is exactly what makes me guess that about M$. Certainly they want to push you as hard as they can to buy their newest product, though the old one might work just fine.

Comment

So, if the reason there's no Win9x drivers isn't because of MS asking them not to, that leaves the first option KvH mentioned... "Lazy puds". And since .net is available for Win98, that's not a good excuse either.

Comment

That stinks since many people use win98 to play old DOS and old windows 3.11 games.

Comment

And since there will obviously be DX9 for win9x (at least there are betas)
                      this puts it in rather peculiar light, the P supporting many DX9 features.

Comment

At least the Linux drivers are labeled "coming soon" but then since they have "coming soon" for NT4 why not Win98? I mean there are probably more ppl using win98 than NT4..
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                          Because the only reason I have Windows at all is for games (not work, not email, not websurfing, just games and games only) and just because I have a big, fast computer is no excuse to run a slow(er), bloated OS on it. We've all been dragged through this argument before, so I'll stop here.

I'd have thought that since Win98SE and ME use the same WDM driver format as 2K/XP, it wouldn't be too hard to make the drivers work for them. Certainly easier than writing whole new drivers for NT 4. And who still uses NT 4 anyway, especially if they'd be needing the P's features?
                          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Well if someone is in a "Driver creating" mood.. Mark me down for a Driver for my Epson GT5000 !! NO drivers exist for Win2KPro

I've Slide mounted the boot drive just so I can carry on using my ever trusty scanner.. (W98/W2k)

Not the best idea... But why chuck out a brilliant little scanner that works perfectly just cos its getting old!!
                            Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

Because the only reason I have Windows at all is for games
                              I know I'm going to get jumped on for asking this question but what games????

Joel
                              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X