Now Here's a Brain Stumper....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Here's a Brain Stumper....

I have a question that I cannot get an answer to....who the hell invented playing cards or where did they originate from? It had to come from someone/somewhere? Was playing poker last night and the question was brought up. We searched for 2 hours and couldn't find anything. Maybe the great gurus of MURC would have an answer to this puzzle?
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

"The origins of playing cards are somewhat obscure. There are many unproven, controversial, and sometimes non-sensical theories concerning where and when people started to play games with cards. For example, some scholars indicate that playing cards were invented about 1000ad in China or Korea, and they may have evolved from a set of Chinese dominoes similar to the 19th century set (in the Museum's collection) pictured here.

Other scholars indicate that dominoes as well as playing cards evolved from "flattened", marked, arrows much earlier than 1000ad. At times, one theory appears to be the "best one", and at times another seems more acceptable. On the other hand, some theorists indicate that around the 12th century AD, circular suited playing cards from India (which may or may not have come from China) found their way to Egypt and were modified somewhat in Egypt. By the 14th century AD the Egyptian deck found its way to Italy and Spain and soon after spread thoughout Europe. (For a Website which discusses the introduction of playing cards to Europe - Click Here. Use your browser's "back button" to return to this page about playing cards.)

Within each country a number of modifications were made to the deck of playing cards. It has been reported that the Tarot deck for example, was invented in Italy about 1440ad, but was based upon exisiting decks. Some authors are unhappy with these facts, and would have it that the other decks are based upon the Tarot deck!

Today playing cards are known all over the world, as evidenced by the examples from many cultures in the Museum's Collection. If you wish to see more specific information about game origins in general, game ethnography, and early geographic diffusion of games, Click Here. Use your browser's "back button" to return to this page about playing cards."

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

So in other words they don't know...
      System Specs:
      Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
      May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
      Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
      And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
      just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
      For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
        So in other words they don't know...
        probably

Comment

I thought they were used ih medievil times as a form of money?
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
            I thought they were used ih medievil times as a form of money?
            Interesting... imagine, if that were the case, and cards were a form of money, that would bring a whole new dimension to a game of poker... "I'll bet I don't lose this money to you!"
            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
            X