Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do MURCERS do?

Hi Guys,

At the end of the night I typically shut both my machines down and power them up the next day when I need to edit or test etc.

What do you you guys do, leave the PC's on all the time, or shut them down like I do before going to bed?

Which is better?
    So let's hear what you have to say

Regards,
    Elie

I shut mine down....
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I shut mine down, too. I'm in a small apartment, and they'd be too loud. Besides, it costs money, is bad for the environment, and I don't need my 'puter when I'm not awake

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

24/7 over here!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Some times I let them run through the night, got them nice and quiet now. I always turn them off when I'm not home though.
          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Both home pcs running df 24/7 and one is permanently hosting a chat conference line now the teenager of the house has discovered chat lines. As this is the only house in the area with a adsl line every kid in the neibourhood seems to be in the house at the moment as with dial up its no go in their households

breezer
            Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

My work machine is on 24/7...

At home I turn mine off(athlon kt133a), unless I have something running, divx compessing ...etc

I think turning it off over night is a good idea, but I think most modern hardware copes well with 24/7

I good thing to keep in mind, my work machine is p3, and as you know they have very good thermal protection they will usually shut down if they get to hot, p4's will throttle back and avoid overheating.
              But earlier athlon/duron mobo's don't so if your heatsink fan fails you have a real fire risk.
              Newer athlon boards do have good thermal protection.

so if your mobo has a actively cooled chipset, and no thermal protection for your CPU, I would defintely recomend shutting down overnight.

With good thermal protection, you should not be to worried about leaving it on overnight.

IF i had an expenisve video card(still saving for parhelia), i would not be leaving on just in case the 0.1% chance its cooling fan fails and cooks your card

Comment

I turn my pcs off when I go off to bed!

Comment

Mine are off when I'm not in but left on all the time when I am. They run Folding@Home2 so there is a reason for them to be on whilst I'm asleep
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Shut down. But that's because my machine's in my mum and dads bedroom. And I still want to live yet.

J1NG

Comment

My gateway box is usually on 24/7, and as its an old P100 compaq I dont worry too much about the electricity bill.
                      My main box frequently runs for days at a time downloading stuff from Kazaa, but if I havent got anything to download, it goes off when I'm not around.
                      Both PCs are behind a 1000va UPS
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I leave mine on only when I'm using it or if I'm trying to download something...
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

In the winter I just leave mine on. In the summer I turn it off when I'm not home/awake.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have to shut mine down being in southern california. Three monitors, my pc and printer have heat up my room to about 90F this summer. Have air conditioning, but rather it not run at night just so my computers and room stay cool.

Comment

i kill my PCs unless doing a LONG DL on dialup.....or backing up my entire system to tape
                              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                              X