X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Msi 745 Ultra

I have got one of these and are preparing for "Major Surgery"

Anyting special I should think about?

The Chipset, does it need extra cooling?
    (The Damn KT 266 & kt 333 does )
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

No cooling necessary. Just remember to un-install your 4-in-1 driver components (AGP, IDE etc.) from Windoze before installing the new board and have the SiS CD ready when you boot up the first time.

I'd also check SiS's site for upgrades to its AGP and IDE drivers as well as AMD's Win2K AGP patch;

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 August 2002, 13:26.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, that SPECIFIC board has a couple quirks.

You MUST use a newer BIOS than what came with the board... as shipped most 745 Ultras fail to keep the 133mhz bus speed. Oops!

The best BIOS right now is 1.3 - many people think 1.4 is fine, but for me it just results in lots of resets and stepdowns (running an Athlon 1800+).

You will want to install the SiS "AGP Patch", which is currently on version 1.10, and available from their site.

That's it.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Technoid didn't you say you had no Via problems a few hours ago.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have no problems what so ever with my current mobo….

But:

1. It has onboard raid and I want to break “lose” from having it integrated.
          This has really been a complication as a promise card was hard to get below 170 in Sweden and now I got one for 125, Highpoints on the other hand is practically thrown at you
          2. It don’t support higher than XP 1800… (And that one is only 233mhz from my TB 1300)
          3. I was about to change Mobo a couple of moths ago and then the RAM prices took the shuttle halfway to the moon
          4. My mobo is the over voltage of the year! About 1.5 too much!
          5. Everyone else seems to have them and recommend them
          I’m just joining the party
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Shit I thought I got you then.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

And I have I have been doing the “I’ll wait just a month” game too long and I’m getting feed up with it.

I have a friend who’s started to do that and he is still trying to tell himself and everyone that his P450 is good enough (not to mention that he visited my shop and gagged for an hour about it)

Comment

Simple rule for anything if you've got the money go for it. Otherwise play catch up for ever and still feel guilty.
                Oh Shit I still didn't get you.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Oh, I got the money:
                  Tax return next week!

Comment

Lend me any????
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

hmm....
                      Oves my dad 450
                      Still have 800 to pay of for my DVD and Palm....
                      Sorry....
                      don't think so (I realy wich I was so rich that I could lend you money )

BTW:
                      If we keep this up its likely to get booted to SB

Comment

I'll be your pimp.
                        Only kidding.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Once you're sure the board is good you might want extra cooling. It just has a heatsink taped/epoxied onto the 745 chip. Since Greebe got his up to 187MHz FSB, you might want to think about it

I found everything in the BIOS really easy to configure. Didn't have to fight too much to turn off all the unneeded ports and integrated stuff.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Back To buisnes!

Don't I have to reinstall from scratch to get Apic working?

Comment

Presuming winxp/win2k I would say yes unless someone knows what reg key to delete.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X