Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Fleece review

Noise Contr0l - Magic Fleece !

I've just bought a new computer, and for once, my mind wasn't on overclocking as much as I was (and still am) interested in keeping it silent.
    I started out with a mistake of buying a Thermaltake Volcano thinking that a stronger fan at lower speed will mean less noise. Oh well.
    AZ was kind enough sending me to Noise Control and their "Magic Fleece".

After reading some reviews (actually 2 reviews) I decided to go forward and purchase the set for my Enermax 710B. I had to open a paypal account in order to pay and a few days later a package awaited me.

The material itself does look like fleece, it's actually 2 sheets of fleece for extra isolation with a very strong glue on the back.
    All pieces were nicely cut to fit all the parts of my case and it also arrived with a 1 page document in English with simple explanations. Noise Control paid great attention to details and every piece of the fleece is at the right size and the right thickness.
    In the Enermax 710 there are handles for releasing the 3.5" drive bays. The Fleece is well cut around these and there are 2 very thin pieces of fleece to fill these gaps without touching those handles.

Installation:
    Warning: Think twice before you install the fleece. Once it's glued to your case, you'll have a very hard time removing it. The glue is very strong so it'll tear and leave both the fleece and the case in a mess if removed.
    Why am I telling you this ? Cause many times the sheets are 2cm shorter than the actual area. Normally the gap is left for another part of your case that sits there when you close it. So if you put it in the wrong place, you won't be able to close your case.

Besides being stupid, installation is quick and the 1 page guide is anything you need.
    Noise Control gives you fleece for *ALL* the parts in your system. Even for drive bays if for some reason you decide not to use them.

Impressions:
    The fleece works very well reducing vibrations and noise cused by vibrations in your system. It also absorbs sound directed to it quite well. After installing the fleece in my case, noise comes out just from the rear where I have 3 fans (2 exaust + 1 PS fan).

Conclusion:
    If you have a good case which is well built, you shouldn't suffer from vibrations and noise coming out of them. In this case, the Magic Fleece isn't going to change much since most of the noise you'll hear will come out through your exaust fans.
    On the other hand, if you have a cheap case which easily vibrates, Magic Fleece will be nothing short of a life saver.

Pros:
    1. Noise Control are very quick to respond and help and the fleece is pre-cut with exact measurments and very much attention to details.
    2. Life saving solution for cheap cases and VERY noisy computers.

Cons:
    1. For a well built case and a not so noisy computer, check the Noise Control site for other solutions (Just seen a solution for the exaust fans there, I think I'll order it).

2. Sound isolation doesn't come without some thermal isolation as well. If your case isn't well ventilated, this will mean higher ambient temperature inside your case.
    Also, if you have ventilation holes on the sides of your case, the fleece will block those.

Ok, that's the first review I've ever wrote, so try not to shish-kebab me here.

Good review

There are other sets for other cases as well (those for Chieftec cases have magnetic clip-on parts for the rear fans, I think), as well as uncut sheets.

The solution for the rear fans is custom-fit to their own cases, so you'll want to measure your case and maybe ask them about it.

Now I'm actually tempted to BUY the damn stuff

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You have pieces for fan holes where you don't have fans installed, but once you have a fan, you can't put fleece there or it'll block your fan

Comment

What I meant was that you could clip the pieces on and off for the chieftec variant

Be careful with the magic vent - though I heard VERY good things about it (some german reviews, it was paired with one of NoiseMagics own cases, to which it fits perfectly).

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
        X