No announcement yet.

HELP G200-tv conflict with Asus P3V4X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP G200-tv conflict with Asus P3V4X?

I'm trying to install a G200-tv, but everytime I start up I get a black screen followed by a couple of beeps and 10 seconds later a power loss. When I reinstall my Velocity 100 card I have no probs whatsoever. Seems like it has to be a motherboard conflict since I'm not even getting to the bios. Not even a chance for the VIA drivers to get ahold of it. My set up is:

Asus P3V4X
    FCPGA Celeron 533A
    256 MB PC-133
    Maxtor 30G DiamondMax 40 HD
    Mitsumi CR 4801TE CD-R
    RealTek RTL 8029 PCI Road Runner Network Card

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention my souncard is an SBLive!

Comment

I recently finished a project assembling around 18 computers based off the P3V4X.

A couple were outfitted with the Marvel G400 and SBLive.

Only a few didn't boot up into BIOS and they were fairly simple mistakes. It's usually one of the following:

- CPU not seated all the way into Slot1. It may LOOK seated, but a further push showed it had a few more millimeters to go.

- AGP card not seated all the way. Same as CPU.

- Tiny flake of packing material lodged into the AGP groove interrupting connection.

- Motherboard tray's expansion slot bracket pushing against the AGP or PCI cards... enough force to actually cause it to be offset from it's pins.

- One system didn't boot into the startup BIOS text. Everything seemed to be receiving power. Turned out the Power Supply was slightly out of spec.

- Another system gave three long beeps and wouldn't boot. A spare SDRAM was swapped into SIMM4 and it booted fine. Not wanting the surrender the spare, the suspect SDRAM was inserted into SIMM3 and the system happily accepted it.

For the ones with Matrox G400s, the prescription after installing the OS was to install VIA's 4-in-1 v4.22 EXCEPT the AGP portion. Afterwards, the VIA AGP v4.03 was downloaded and installed separately. After this, the rest of the drivers were installed (Marvel, SBLive, Network). No problems since.

------------------
      Carter
      ------
      Abit BH6 v1.02 ATX motherboard
      Coppermine PentiumIII 650mhz Slot1
      256mb PC100 SDRAM
      [C:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
      [D:] FastTrak66 RAID 2x13.5gig 7200rpm ATA66
      [E:] FastTrak66 RAID 2x30.0gig 7200rpm ATA66
      [F:] Ricoh 9060 DVD/CDRW
      [G:] SanDisk USB CompactFlash reader
      Matrox Marvel G200 TV AGP
      Canopus DVRaptor PCI
      SBLive MP3+ PCI
      FourPoint2000 Digital
      SohoWare Fast Ethernet PCI
      SupraExpress 56k USB
      Win98, MSP 5.2
      IntelliEye USB IntelliMouse
      Canon L2
      Canon XL1

Carter
      ------
      [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

It sounds like the G200 isn't posting.

I'd start by getting a fine grain white eraser and GENTLY polishing the cards contacts. Use a fine brush to get rid of all the residue, NOT your fingers or breath!

Now insert it back in the mainboard and check if it can rock back and forth in the AGP socket like a teeter-totter.

If it can place one or two small washers under the mounting tab before putting in the mounting screw. This should place the card in a middle position relative to the "rocking".

Now try to post it again.

I've had this happen on three mainboards with the G200-TV and cleaning combined with the position adjustment fixed it in two of the three.

This came up in this forum a year or so ago and we came to the conclusion that not all AGP sockets are created equal....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Many thanks for the suggestions, I will try them and post my results. Thanks again!

Comment

Well, I tried the eraser and the washers with no luck. It actually seems to be booting, but there is definately no power getting to the monitor. Any known conflicts with Sony monitors? What really pisses me off is no matter how carelessly I pop in my Velocity card, everything runs fine. Any other suggestions?

Comment

My turn! My turn!

Let's see if we have some basic facts straight. It's not a good idea to assume anything. Are both the G200 and the Velocity 100 cards AGP? Or is one or the other a PCI card? If they are different, are you selecting in your bios whether you want a PCI or an AGP card to be the primary display adapter?

Hey, it's a long shot, but...

Comment

No known conflicts with Sony monitors I'm aware of. I'm using an Avitron 195 Trinitron, which is a Sony in disguise.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 28 June 2000).]

Comment

Yes, they are both AGP cards, I promise. Anybody else have any ideas, I'm getting really frustrated.

Comment

At this point I'd try putting the Marvel into another system or try using another monitor.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 30 June 2000).]

Comment

For what it's worth, my G200TV (AGP) is working fine with my new P3V4X Asus Motherboard. I also have the SB Live sound card. I've never put together a machine with less hassle than with this motherboard. My Marvel runs wonderfully (knock wood).

K
                      P3 1GHz, 512Mb RAM (PC133), Asus CU4VX motherboard (VIA Chipset), Matrox Marvel G200, DiamondMax Plus 30.0Gb 7200rpm ATA100, Tekram SCSI UW controller, SCSI Zip drive, Creative 12X PCDVD, Yamaha 8824 CDRW

Comment

FWIW I'm using an Asus P3B-F 6/1/1.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X