DVD Workshop 1.2 Compression Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Workshop 1.2 Compression Quality?

I just purchased DVDWS 1.2 after having tested the 1.0 demo. I had been impressed by the MPEG2 compression quality of 1.0 so I was quite surprised when my first test of 1.2 showed a quite dramatic drop in quality to the point of being totally unacceptable.

My source video is DV captured from a good quality tape through an ADVC100. The material itself is animation.

Using any compression settings 1.2 produced video that looked low res (blocky) with very noticeable aliasing on any diagonal edges. A short clip compressed with 3700VBR on 1.0 looked better than the same clip compressed with anything up to and beyond 6000VBR/CBR on 1.2.

Nothing else on my system had changed and uninstalling 1.2 and reinstalling 1.0 demo restores the good quality compression.

This 400K zip file contains two very short MPEG2 files, 3700VBR compressed with 1.0 demo and 4500VBR for 1.2. With the compression biased in favor of 1.2 it should produce a better result but it doesn't.

I sent a query to ULEAD's technical support a couple of days ago but I have yet to get any response. I don't know how long they usually take.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this in the upgrade to 1.2?

Does anyone know of anything that might cause this? I noticed that one of the claimed improvements in 1.2 was improved compression speed. Have they achieved this by changing settings rather than optimising code?

Cheers,

David.

davpen,

Curious....
    I haven't burned any DVD's since I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.2, very good results in 1.0. I will be making a DVD in the next few days and will try to remember to post the results here.

Ted
    Premiere PRO XP Pro
    Asus P4s533
    P4-2.8
    Matrox G450
    RT.x100
    45 GIG System Drive
    120 Export Drive
    Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
    17" P4-3 HT