MSP6.51a Power Patch copy protect problem solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP6.51a Power Patch copy protect problem solved

Thanks to Nick Piercey's post over on the WWUG, this problem of DV timeline playback triggering copy protect, running jerky video with no audio over the IEEE-1394 line, and sending audio out the sound card (that's a mouthful, isn't it?)... appears to have been solved.

On both of our systems, the Power Patch fails to overwrite a file named dvsf.ax and leaves the one dated june 6, 2001 intact. If that file is deleted, and the Power Patch is simply run again, it will then write the newer dvsf.ax file dated december 14, 2001 to the ulead folder in the program files section.

It would be helpful for Ulead tech support, I believe, if those of you who do NOT have this problem would check your system to see if that file was updated (or not) with the patch.

Six days short of a month to find that one file wasn't updated in this patch... I think our response time is a bit sluggish these days.

And for the OT among us, I would like to bow my head towards the city of Hiroshima and have a moment of silence wherein we might all hope and pray that what happened there on August 6, 1945 never happens to any other city on this planet, ever again.

Jeff B

That sure would explain why some have the problem while others don't. Makes one wonder if another program set the "Read only" bit on that file during an update or....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hi,

It’s thanks to William Shur at Ulead in Taiwan who gave me the clues!

The reason why the XP patch solved the problem was that it contained the u32mpb.dll and dvsf.ax from 14 Dec and the XP patch actually updated dvsf.ax!?

This morning William sent me an updated Power Patch, which just deletes dvsf.ax before continuing with the update. It works – although William and the guys at Ulead couldn’t recreate my (and Jeff’s) initial problem – Sod’s Law, I guess.

The other Ulead’s I have on my system are Movie Factory SE and Workshop 1.2 – don’t know whether these caused the problems with dvsf.ax or not, but all is happy here now.

Thanks again to all who contributed to help solve the problem.

Cheers,

Nick.

Comment

This one's for Nick;

William Shur says to pass on "Many of my best thanks" for your efforts in tracking this down.

Bravo!!

William Shur's a good guy....very helpful, but as you have discovered this kind of problem can be VERY tough to track down.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 August 2002, 19:41.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Folks,

Where can the XP Patch be found ? I need it for a friend.

Debbie

PS.

Found a copy on one of my CD-Rs. Thans just the same.
          Last edited by Debbie; 6 August 2002, 22:24.
          We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

ftp://ftp.ulead.com/pub/Updates/Medi...p6xp_patch.exe

The generic FTP URL for MSPro 6.5 is this;

ftp://ftp.ulead.com/pub/Updates/MediaStudioPro6.5/

In this folder you can "see" all the patches, even those not on the Ulead website. Be aware that many have a terminal letter in them like *_g, *_i, *_j (or *.jp) etc. which indicates localized versions; for these examples German, Italian & Japanese.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 August 2002, 00:32.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc.,

That's what I call first class day and night service.

Debbie
              We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Cheers, Doc.

Much appreciated.

Shows what a bit of team work can do.

Regards,

Nick.

Comment

Working...
                X