Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Klipsch Promedia 5.1

There's a review @ www.firingsquad.com

My 2 cents: for $800 (speaker system + decoder) you could get a nice little HT system instead which you could upgrade with time.

The Klipsch 5.1's and decoder have been out for a while. FS just got around to reviewing it recently.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

BTW MSRP rarely is seen on the shelf... normally it's at least 40% less than that.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Re: New Klipsch Promedia 5.1

Originally posted by Dogbert
        There's a review @ www.firingsquad.com

My 2 cents: for $800 (speaker system + decoder) you could get a nice little HT system instead which you could upgrade with time.
        Uh... at $800 is that "with" or "without"? I'm sorry, but for $800 I'd expect something extra under the table, if you know what I mean.
        RC Agent
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
        AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
        AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Cool, but ... ROFL!!!

Anyway, the ProMedia 5.1's have a MSRP at $399.99 USD. The Digital Dream Package, which is the 5.1's with the DTS\Dolby decoder, runs for $499.99. If you buy the DTS/Dolby decoder seperately, that runs $169.99. The Monster cable upgrade is $69.99.

How you ended up with $800 is a mystery. The max price if you bought the 3 suggest componenets seperate (minus shipping) would be $640. Or $570 for the digital dream plus cable upgrade. At $570 you can get a decent receiver, but nothing flashy. Plus the Klipsch stuff would take up less room. I might now sound better, but you're running off a PC, so unless you have a professional grade sound card, it's debatable whether it would make a difference.

Jammrock
          Last edited by Jammrock; 6 August 2002, 12:25.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't like how the new Klipsche line sounds? The old line was awesome, there was no center chanel, but I would rather have good solid sound than a center chanel. I can't really put my finger on what I don't like about the 5.1's, they just sound a tad off to me.

Comment

The only place I've heard the 5.1's is on a crappy CD player at Best Buy. All of the speaker were just kind of bunched together so...

But I do kind of agree. The mids on the new Klipsch line sound muffled compared to my trusty 4.1's. The bass is a lot nicer though. High are decent, about what I would expect from Klipsch through a computer/walkman.

Jammrock

Comment

My typo Jammrock, it's $500, not $800.
                But with my new title, I'm allowed to anyway

Comment

Working...
                X