Maybe comment from Doc M. or Elie - Canopus slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe comment from Doc M. or Elie - Canopus slam

I thought maybe Doc. Mordrid or Elie might comment on a few things coming out of Canopus. Certain things do not seem exactly right. I was an original RT2000 user and later obtained a STORM. The Storm is not a bad card (for some things) but is terrible with 3D and also user interfaces (i.e. to adjust settings, etc). I’ve just started installing the RT.X100 and have no experience with it (as of yet). Canopus claims that after 20 passes of encoding the Matrox codec shows a lot of degradation (artifacting, etc.). They have a document circulating around the forums with the “20 pass thing” and other stuff that just seems to be fishy in how they compare – the doc is at : http://www.canopus.com/pdf/DVStorm_vs_RTX100.pdf
    I know 20 X’s is an awful lot and one would not regularly do this. Also wonder if it is on the 20th pass that any degrading starts or is it actually gradual ?? Again some things in the document just doesn’t seem right in the comparison – like their maybe omitting something.

Second there is a reply from a Canopus rep on the CanopusCow forum that makes some interesting stabs at Matrox and wonder others thoughts on his statements – seem to not be exactly “right/accurate” either. A few excerpt quotes:
    “Remember folks, we were doing multiple streams and realtime WAY before Matrox ever was. And we're talking the Canopus definition of realtime, NOT the Matrox one (I prefer to call their defintion "psuedo-time") “

“So we're taking that head-start, and taking our superior engineering, and making new products that aren't geared towards the current "fads" in the industry and are not based on buzz-words or whatnot, but based on what a video EDITOR is going to use in every day situations. Sure some of these features MIGHT be the "fads", but it's not going to get included to just raise sales numbers, it's going to get included because it's an OBVIOUS desired feature by real editors. The fact of the matter is the Canopus Codec is so far superior and such a larger and more stable base for us to found hardware and software on that the competition, while coming up with some nifty features in their new cards can't compete on the quality scale.”

I respect Doc and Elie’s analysis and contributions here and was just wondering their thoughts or others that have “hands-on” RT.X100 experience.

The Canopus document is such a piece of crap I can't believe they'd even bothered to publish it. There is a response coming though.....including some point-by-points I'm working on. Other team members may respond as well, and it won't be too hard to pick it apart.

It's clear to me that they are desparate and are more than willing to twist and create "facts" in an attempt to lessen the RT.X's impact on their products.

An interesting neutral take on the RT.X100 comes from Charlie White over at Digital Producer magazine. In his review he stated that "Clearly, with this new release of its RT series Matrox has drawn a new line in the sand that is certain to send its adversaries back to the drawing board". When he and I corresponded after the review (both of us have relationships with Digital Media Net) he made the further comment that he was "blown away" by it.

Chazz is an Emmy Award winning producer and director for PBS (among about 20 other hats he wears) with 25+ years of broadcast experience, so I doubt he'd be saying things like that without just cause

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 August 2002, 18:18.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Doc, figured as much - look forward to your responses. Waiting for a few parts and will have RT.X100 up in a few days to see for myself. It's been obvious Canopus has been sitting on their past success and actually think they got blind sided with RT.X100. Thanks again for taking the time to answer

David LaBorde

Comment

I was actually on the Canopus Forum reading all the comments made by Canopus Engineers.

The good thing to remember about Matrox is they're continued support fo their products.
        Whether it's new effects or new capabilites, you also see Matrox tech support replying to troubles on the forum then all of Canopus's replies since the begginging.

The new RT.X100 is now a scalable solution where the RT2x00 wasn't, so you can imagine the possibilites

Regards,
        Elie

Comment

It's been obvious Canopus has been sitting on their past success and actually think they got blind sided with RT.X100. Thanks again for taking the time to answer

David LaBorde [/B]
          This is exactly what happened according to those who were at DV Expo East. From all reports Canopus and Pinnacle were in total shock.

Oh well

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The good thing to remember about Matrox is they're continued support fo their products.
            Wha....?

"Matrox" and "support" are two words I don't equate together. (See various fiascos beginning with the non-support of OpenGL for the G200 cards and continuing on with more broken promises.) I swore to never buy another Matrox product after that.

Unless you mean Matrox's video line as opposed to their graphics card line. There used to be such a distinction a couple years ago, but to me the G200/400 Marvels were a "video" product, and that support was horrible. Please clarify!

Comment

First:
              The G200 marvel as well as the G4x Marvels where produced by Matrox graphics (MGA) division in Matrox!
              The RT series was produced by the Matrox Digital video Solutions (DVS) division!

And about the G200 and OpenGL:
              The wrapper that existed was for Q2 that was about the only game that desperately needed OpenGL to work!
              And whining so much over one game that really wasn’t so good either!

I really hate when whining people drag that up:
              “G200 was a pos because it hadn’t OpenGL!”

It happened!
              GET OVER WITH IT!!!
              It was 4 years ago and Open GL works lovely on the G200 since well over 3 years ago!!!!!!!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Ah! So Matrox video and Matrox graphics don't belong to the same company? BS

I used to swear by Matrox for graphics cards long before they entered video. Now I swear AT them. I was misguided enough to buy a simple G550 graphics card. I had problems. No, literally NO, direct support. Indirect support (through forums) recommended I start at reformatting the HDD. Yes, to install a graphics card, because their driver software could not stomach an upgrade from Millennium II to Millennium G-550. Support? Don't make me laugh. It doesn't exist.

After the Marvel G-200 W2k fiasco, I swore never to buy another Matrox product, not because they couldn't provide drivers but because of their corporate ethics (or, rather, lack thereof). Circumstances forced me, to my regret, otherwise, but, now, I really do mean it!

Oh! And I bought my first Canopus product recently, and I'm delighted with it!
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

No,
                  I said that they vere different divisions within the same company!
                  And in many cases it is as if they were separate buissnes (I don't like it either)

And I dont have to say any BS, you are taking care of that department verry well on your own
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Brian;

I know this is a complex concept but different divisions of a larger company are often like different companies in and of themselves, especially when they make totally different kinds of products.

Example: do you really it's fair to judge the quality of GM cars by what their financial services divsion does? How about judging Ford Aerospace by recalling the Pinto's low quality?

It's called "apples and oranges"....

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 August 2002, 07:58.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc

I've worked in industry for 50 years and I do know what a Division is and I owned a company which had Divisions, but our reputation crossed over the divisions, because we were addressing related markets, as does Matrox. To compare Ford with Matrox is going from the sublime to the cor-blimey, the first producing 8 million cars per year (plus other products) with such marques as Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda, Lincoln, LandRover (all as separate companies, not Divisions). Matrox is comparatively tiny, with a world-wide total of 1,450 employees, largely in sales and, presumably from observations, few in support. And, if the video products division is so marvellous, compared with graphics cards, why don't they listen to you and others to offer support for MSP, as well as Première, for their RT series, as I have heard you complain from time to time? When the RT-2000 first came out, I was still working and could have afforded one - and was interested. I didn't, because of the fact that I was not keen on Première. The new RT.X10 could be interesting ... but no MSP = no buy, even if I suddenly miraculously regained faith in Matrox, and that would be a very hard sell, unless they announced that they were offering REAL support for all their products.

I'm sorry, Doc, but they must remain on my blacklist, along with Compaq and a few others. I'd dearly love to add Microsoft to the list, as well, especially having had to spend 4 days trying to set up my daughter's new XP-powered computer for her (in the end, I got everything working except for one DOS/Windows3 based app and for her Acer scanner, but there is even hope there, as their support is real and does answer e-mails).
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian you blindly acccuse Matrox of not offering REAL support, which is not the case! Wake up buddy and check out the forums!

Mainly these...

and

Where you see techsupports involvement to every question or issue by users.

Like I SAID before, Matrox does have great support and the above links prove it.

Also putting all these companies on your black list tells me a little something about you and your attatude towards the computer industry (whish is not 100% perfect in any way)

Cheers,
                        Elie
                        Last edited by Elie; 5 August 2002, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                        X