Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warcraft 3 on G400 - Crashes allover

Hay,

i have mad problems playing Warcraft 3 on my 800MHz Athlon. Its running Win98.

I read thru this forums and found a lot of ideas what to try when a game crashed.. I tried everything I could find but it didnt work. Warcraft 3 keeps freezing right away while plaing. Here is what I tried:

Drivers:
    6.83 BETA

I also tried:
    Setting Colors to 16Bit in the Game

Switching on and off the 32Bit Z-Buffer in th Powerdesk.

Switching everything on or off in the Powerdesk,

Running the game like this:
    War3.exe -opengl

There was also this icd.zip file downloadable form Matrox I installed that aswell.

I also ran dxdiag.exe without any problems. All tests positive.

Right now I dont know what to do anymore.. I am out of ideas. Are there some special OLD drivers u ppl use in here? It just wount work properly for me with any new ones. I did also a complete new install of Win98 from scratch.. there is nothing installed on the System, only warcraft 3.

If anyone has any ideas please dont hesitate to post them.. I am ready to try everything I didnt try before...

thank you!

greets

Largo
    Last edited by largo; 1 August 2002, 11:09.

What are your system specs? Sound card? What version of your sound driver are you using? What are you running in the background?

Comment

Easy, upgrade to Win2k and everything is sorted.

If its not an option, could that be soundcard driver?
      And try Blizzard technical support as well.
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Runing well here on 98SE. Remarkably smooth, looks great and no crashes.
        System : Duron 900, G400MAX 6.83 drivers, Hercules MuseXL Soundcard

Trying running DxDiag and check for any errors. Also reinstall DirectX 8.1, even if there aren't any errors. Sometimes helps.

Incidentally : what are the in-game graphic quality settings ? Mine defaulted to all on "Medium", shadows and occlusion on. All I've changed so far is bumped up the res to 1024x768 32 bit, and it's been fine. Mind you, I only got it this afternoon
        "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Me, again.

I got an Sounblaster Live! Value, with the lastest drivers from www.soundblaster.com. And there are no programms in the background. As said its a new System.

To TiG:

As said I did the DxDiAG thing, and I also reinstalled DirectX, no problems with DxDiaG and still crashing.

Still Ideas?

I might follow the lead and install Win2k, if no other ideas pop up.

Thank you so far!

greets

Largo

Comment

Duron 800, plain G400, SB Live, Win2k.

Warcraft III at full detail playing smooth as silk.
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Sorry largo. I should have read your post properly, rather than repeating the standard fix.

I did find I got a bit smoother performance and eliminated the bit of sound distortion i was getting by using Dolby Surround instead of Creative EAX2. I didn't think my card could do Dolby, but it seems to work fine.
              "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Works perfectly here on a PIII 600, G400 Max (6.82 drivers), and SB Live! in Windows 98se with all ingame settings set to medium and a 1024x768x16 resolution.
                Sorry, don't know what to tell you, except for:
                Do other Direct3d games on your system work fine?
                What is your motherboard chipset (and are its drivers correctly installed, for example 4in1 for VIA)?

Comment

Ask Blizzard. They may have already found a solution.
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Hey,

me again. I did install Win2k now.. and you wount belive it - it still crashes. Same thing. Just freezes and dies. The sound quirks awful and my pc needs an hard reboot.

I guess now your gonna say I got damaged Hardware in some way. Well, I dont have any other ideas aswell.

I usually dont play games. But I bought Warcraft because I used to play warcraft 1 back in the days.

I will try talking to Blizzard, but it seems to be a problem that I am on my own with. Since it works for all of you properly with the G400, and I actually thought it was the G400, now I am not even sure the Graphic card is the problem.

Ideas left? Help if you can..

greets and thank you all!

Largo
                    Last edited by largo; 5 August 2002, 06:03.

Comment

Just for fun, uninstall your soundcard (SB Live Value?) and remove it from your computer. Test Warcraft again.. Did it hang?

Most probably not. Congratulations! You're one of several people with a SB Live Value revision thats uncompatible with your motherboard. Several brands and makes seem to have trouble with SB Live Value. I can't seem to remember reading a particular solution to this problem anywhere (except changing either motherboard or soundcard).

It's not really useful at this moment to have all SB Live Value owners out there without a problem sending in posts saying "But look at me, it works here!" because there are a number of parameters thats at work here. There is brand and revision of motherboard, revision of soundcard, model of soundcard (there is a model of SB Live Value with a yellow connector that's having trouble with Asus TUSL-C motherboards for example) and what other cards, drivers and stuff are installed.

Sorry!

Comment

I've got exactly the same problem...

I've installed the game this afternoon and it crashed two times in a half an hour period... My soundcard is an Audigy and my mobo is a good old VIA KT133 based stuff (Asus A7V).

Comment

Test this, if you haven't done that already. Have you mailed Blizzard about your problem?

Also this can perhaps be of help:

but of course you already tested this since it was mentioned above as a possible solution..

I'm not even gonna mention the VIA 4in1 driver package, since that is common knowledge.

Perhaps you can tell that I'm a big fan of people yelling "me too" without adding an inch of extra information. Like telling what they already have tried, if that had any impact whatsoever, if other software with similar features works and if they got in touch with Tech Support for that piece of software that didn't work. Or at least RTFM, or in this case RTFWP, and state that you already did that in your "me too" post, please.

Comment

Perhaps you can tell that I'm a big fan of people yelling "me too" without adding an inch of extra information. Like telling what they already have tried, if that had any impact whatsoever, if other software with similar features works and if they got in touch with Tech Support for that piece of software that didn't work. Or at least RTFM, or in this case RTFWP, and state that you already did that in your "me too" post, please.
                            Uhh... relax pls!
                            largo wrote:
                            (...)but it seems to be a problem that I am on my own with.
                            This is why I wrote that I had almost exactly the same problem with this game. Of course after 30 minutes of "testing" or trying to make the game work properly I can't say for sure that I have exactly the same problem, and my reply wasn't too useful (I'm sorry for that...) but I just wanted to say, that "Hey largo I have almost the same problem, you're not alone!".

Comment

Me again!

I am back with some additional Informations. 1st. I changed my Soundcard. SB Live out, SB128 PCI in. Still runnung Win2k. And Still crashing. Funny thing is that 2 days ago I rented a Syberia in our local Store and it also crashed with the same symtoms. So, I think that makes it pretty sure that I got some HW problem (too warm?) and it has nothing to do with Warcraft itself.

It isnt my Soundcard either, and my CPU shouldnt be too warm also, I bought a kickass expensive fan, that I was told would work even after the 1GHz border and as you know I only have 800MHz. The PC isnt full also, there is only 1 DVD rom in it, also an NIC, SC and Graphics. That is all. Nothing special. Mainboard is an Elitegroup K7S5A SiS735, sound onboard disabled in Bios.

Any Ideas left?

thank you!

greets

Largo

Comment

Working...
                              X