Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aussie rocket scientists fly successful ScramJet test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie rocket scientists fly successful ScramJet test!

Apparently this could lead to aircraft that may be able to fly 7 times the speed of sound ... Which means a flight from Sydney to London will take 2 hours!!!! See a report here.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Yay, one for the Aussie's
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

hee hee, aren't we good?

the most amazing thing about their project was the components they used to make it happen!!! I was watching a reporter interviewing one of the scientists and he was showing them all the components and there were numerous things you probably have in your garage!!! OK, so the space standard metals aren't so common, but it's still impressive

I LOVE this stuff, it's so cool seeing what scientists are up to, http://www.newscientist.com/news/ is my fave site ever
      Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

There was a (atempted)launch a month ago, it was not so good, got 50Metres in the air and then started spinnig out of control and hit the ground, luckily the scram part fell of at lauch pad and wasn't damaged...after seeing that I rememebred a lot of comments about wether they would hget working at all.

a month later and they pulled off.

its a Japanese/Australian collaboration

Comment

NASA had a similar problem with their scramjet test a few months ago. The engine never got a chance to run when its booster went off course and had to be destroyed.

Scramjets and the linear aerospike have big futures once their development issues are addressed.

Ion drive for interplanetary missions is also a technology that is coming on hard, especially if used in conjunction with modern reactors;

Please note the references to electrostatically confined fusion reactors. Filo T. Farnsworth, the US developer of television, pioneered this approach (he called it the Fusor) in the 1960's but inertia kept it out of mainstream science until recently. Many private basement experimenters have found they could produce a significant neutron flux with a Fusor powered by simple wall current

Also interesting is NASA/JPL's SAFE nuclear engine project;

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2002, 02:13.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Is it b33r powered?

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

No...that was M.J. Fox's DeLorean in BTTF

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

About the only sports car I'd want to own

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  Is it b33r powered?

Jammrock
                  No, but the first test did fail because one of the corks got sucked off a scientist's hat and into the engine as it launched.
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                  X