New Via 41n1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Via 41n1!

Don't know what "bugs" it fixes and what new "features" it adds!

4in1 4.41
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Bugs fixed:

- 40% of people with our chipsets could previously use their computers. This has been remedied. Now NOBODY can use their computer.

- Some users with ATI video cards couldn't use AGP transfers. Fixed. Now ATI users can't use their video card at all.

- Some users were experiencing latency problems with their hard drives. Now they are experiencing latency problems with ALL their peripherals.

New features added:

- Crash-All-The-Time(tm) feature, or CATT. The CATT is out of the bag! Now your PC can be just like a Mac, and crash all the time! We have also added a new and amazing feature that will prevent Windows 2000 or XP from detecting which device caused the fatal error! No more "bad memory access in module ATIOpenGL.dll" for you. Now you get a single, simple message. "Fatal error: VIA SUXX0RZ!"

- New KoolKardKilla function, or KKK for short. KKK will force your cards to overheat, by a complex series of latency changes. You won't believe your eyes, as your cards melt right out of your case.

- Friendly Intel Bashing (FIB) - this feature pops up random messages on your screen, saying things like "VIA rules, and Intel SUXXORZ!". We know it ain't true, YOU know it ain't true, but it's sure fun to see! No way to turn it off either. Don't bother looking in the registry or your system folder, it ain't there!

----------------

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Ok, having decided to stop just being mean and offer HELPFUL alternatives, here's what you do with VIA chipsets.

1. Download the following:

- The manual INF update
      - The manual USB filter
      - The manual IDE filter (NOT THE MINIPORT)
      - The manual AGP driver
      - George Breese's Latency Patch

2. Install those. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES INSTALL THE 4-in-1's.

3. Be happy (or as happy as you can be with a VIA chipset).

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

3. Be happy (or as happy as you can be with a VIA chipset).

- Gurm
        4. Pull out of your system and Replace with a SIS chipset motherboard and sell your VIA board or send it to the circular file
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

My best advice as far as Via drivers are concerned are.

If possible use microshafts. Only use if you've got problems and don't expect too much.

Okay I'm being cruel. The last viagart allowed me to run Fifa football manager under 98.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The AGP driver is fine. The INF file lets your OS know about newer chipsets (uses the same drivers, just identifies them properly). The IDE filter stabilizes and speeds up your IDE ports. The USB filter fixes USB compatibility issues.

The REST of the 4-in-1 (their bogus latency fixer, the IDE miniport, system device drivers, and other registry SHMEG) is just garbage.

- Gurm

Comment

Now your PC can be just like a Mac, and crash all the time!
              Have you ever really owned, used for longer than just a few minutes and understood a Mac? A good configured MacOS system is at least as stable as a WinXP one.
              Sure, MACs are slow due to the apparent inability of Motorola to keep pace with AMD and Intel. But stability-wise they're not that bad. They were rock-stable in the good old 68k days, had quite a lot of problems after the transition to the PPC and now are quite stable again if properly configured.

P.S.: Lots of those remaining latency "issues" with newer VIA chipsets (KT333) seem to be down to bad BIOS programming by companies (like MSIwith the KT3Ultra), if you look at comparisions with other motherboards (e.g. EPoX 8K3A). So just inform yourself before buying and you most likely won't have much troubles.
              Last edited by Indiana; 31 July 2002, 14:27.
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                A good configured MacOS system is at least as stable as a WinXP one.
                Not wery stable in other words!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru

Not wery stable in other words!
                  Exactly. Or to put it in other words: Both are quite stable if configured thoroughly but still can be easily crashed by one single bad behaving app.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Yeah, I have extensive experience with Macs. Every single one I've ever used has crashed daily, usually with a VERY helpful error like "Fatal Error 2."

Windows XP, on the other hand, has NEVER crashed on me. Neither has Win2k. EVER. NOT EVEN ONCE.

- Gurm

Comment

Gurm, any helpful links as to where I might find the above mentioned drivers, filters, patches and updates? Thanks much if you've got them.

Comment

Via Arena. George Breese's latency patch (which I recommend AFTER all the VIA stuff is in) is available at Via Hardware.

viaarena.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, viaarena.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

- Gurm

Comment

Yeah, I have extensive experience with Macs. Every single one I've ever used has crashed daily, usually with a VERY helpful error like "Fatal Error 2."
                          - Gurm
                          Sssh don't say that. Mac users don't like the fact that Macs crash being spoken about.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hehe, there is but one OS I didn't manage to crash and it's AIX. Reason ? I just didn't have enough time with it

OS crashed:

M$-DOS
                            M$-WIN
                            BeOS
                            Linux
                            Mac-OS (Don't remember which, it was a Mac classic computer)
                            VAX/VMS

Comment

Mac users and Linux have one thing in common. They both say the os never crashes. Bullshit of course but they both say the same.

Systems that have crashed on me.

Win3
                              win3.1
                              win3.11
                              win95
                              win98
                              win98se (Much better)
                              win2k (Only when messing around with a crappy driver didn't expect too work)
                              winxp (Infinite loop error)
                              Linux various versions.

The best ones are linux and win2k.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X